Lessons Learnt from Data Collected in the ICDE Project
The International Common Cause Data Exchange (ICDE) project aims at collecting both complete and potential CCF events. These events are called ICDE events. In this paper, the collected events are analyzed with respect to the major contributions to complete common cause failure of redundant systems. The analysis shows that the majority of complete common-cause-failures involve faulty human actions. Consequently, the event descriptions of the complete common-cause-failures have been screened to identify typical scenarios of human involvement of such actions and to quantify their frequencies of occurrence. The assessment has led to several recommendations aimed at improving operation, maintenance and testing procedures, improving the requalification process, intensifying operator training, introducing economically better designs, etc.
KeywordsCentrifugal Pump Check Valve Maintenance Work Relief Valve Redundant System
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Baranowsky, D. Rasmuson, G. Johanson, A. Kreuser, P. Pyy and W. Werner. General Insights from the International Common Cause Failure Data Exchange (ICDE) Project. Paper present in PSAM 7.Google Scholar
- 2.W. Werner, G. Johanson: NEA/CSNI/R(99)2 ICDE Project Report: Collection and Analysis of Common-cause Failure of Centrifugal Pumps, 2000-02-29.Google Scholar
- 3.T. E. Wierman, D. M. Rasmuson, F. M. Marshall: NEA/CSNI/R(2000)20 ICDE Project Report: Collection and Analysis of Emergency Diesel Generators. 2001-02-19Google Scholar
- 4.A. Kreuser, V. Schulze and J. Tirira: NEA/CSNI/R(2001)10 ICDE Project, Report: Collection and Analysis of Common-Cause Failures of Motor Operated Valves, 2001-07-27Google Scholar
- 5.E. Jonsson, G. Johanson, J. Pesonen, K. Jänkälä, and W. Werner: NEA/CSNI/R(2002)19 ICDE Project Report: Collection and Analysis on Safety and Relief Valves, 2002-10-03.Google Scholar
- 6.K. Theiss, Ph. Hessell and W. Werner: NEA/CSNI/R(2003)15 ICDE Project Report: Collection and Analysis of Common-Cause Failures of Check Valves. 2003-08.Google Scholar