Genetic Algorithm Search for Stent Design Improvements
This paper presents an optimisation process for finding improved cardiovascular stent design using Genetic Algorithms. An optimisation criterion based on dissipated power is used which fits with the accepted principle that arterial flows follow a minimum energy loss. The GA shows good convergence and the solution found exhibits improved performance over proprietary designs used for comparison purposes.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Strain Rate Tensor Mesh Quality Stent Design Strut Thickness
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Goldberg, D.E., “Genetic Algorithms in Search Optimization and Machine Learning”, Addison Wesley, (1989).Google Scholar
- 2.Sigwart, U., “Coronary stents: will they survive?”, pp. 169–177 in ‘Coronary Stents’ (Eds. U. Sigwart and G. I. Frank). Springer-Verlag (1992).Google Scholar
- 3.Haupt R.L., Haupt S.E. “Practical Genetic Algorithms” John Wiley & Sons, Inc. (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Atherton, M.A., Bates, R.A. & Tesch, K., ‘Comparing genetic algorithms and emulators for the robust design of cardiovascular stents’, Proc of Design & Nature 2002, WIT Press, to be published.Google Scholar
- 5.FlexGa ref to be found at www.flextool.com <http://www.flextool.com>Google Scholar