2004: Hydra Slews Shredder in Abu Dhabi
No sooner than the 12th WCCC was over in Israel and Deep Junior had regained the title of World Champion, Hydra took on Shredder in an eight–game match in Abu Dhabi: The Abu Dhabi Computer Challenge. The dates were August 14–24, 2004. Hydra won the match with a very impressive 5.5–2.5 score, winning three games, drawing five and raising the question of which chess engine was really the best. For half a decade, Junior, Fritz, and Shredder took turns at the top. Now, there was a newcomer, possibly the best of all. The following year, Hydra essentially murdered England’s Grandmaster Michael Adams, and its status grew even higher.
KeywordsReal Lesson World Title Game Match World Champion 26th Move
- Shredder’s report on the Abu Dhabi Computer Challenge: http://www.shredderchess.com/chess –download/games/abu –dhabi –2004.html
- Shredder’s version of 2005 IPCCC in Paderborn: http://www.shredderchess.com/chess –news/shredder –news/ipccc2005.html
- Website of Hydra Chess Engine: http://www.hydrachess.com/
- Article in the New Yorker about Hydra and Michael Adams: http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/12/12/051212fa_fact_mueller
- A review of the New Yorker Article, by Michael Goeller: http://www.kenilworthchessclub.org/kenilworthian/2005/12/new –yorker –article–On –computer –chess.html