Wireless condition monitoring system for large vessels: Development and Application
The wireless measurement system (Wi-Measys) is developed for an effective vibration monitoring on large vessels. Global vibration measurement mainly executed constructed vessels on a trial running. This application was performed as a solution for replacing existing wired instrumentations by wireless one. The installations of wired sensors cause a manpower shortage, a cost prohibitive and very susceptible to noise through coaxial cables in a complex structure. However, these costs can be significantly reduced by utilizing a wireless system. Wi- Measys is applied on container-ship where conducted a vibration testing on an engine room, deckhouse, and upper deck. This paper presented about how to apply a wireless measurement system and wireless local area network to a large ship have complex structure and how to develop data acquisition board to fit the environment of the vessel.
KeywordsWireless Sensor Network Access Point Wireless Local Area Network Coaxial Cable Large Ship
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Bucci, C, De Capua, C. Landi, (2002) Industrial Measurement and Control, Wiley Encyclo-pedia of Electrical and Electronics Engineering Online, John Wiley & Sons Inc.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Schneiderman, (1997) Future Talk: The Changing Wireless Game, IEEE Press, ISBN 0-7803-3407-8.Google Scholar
- 4.G. Bucci, E. Fiorucci, C. Landi, G. Ocera, (2004) Architecture of a digital wireless data communication network for distributed sensor applications, Science Direct Measurement 35, 33-45.Google Scholar
- 5.C. McLean, D. Wolfe, (2002) Wireless data gathering system for condition based maintenance, Intelligent Wireless Condition -Based Maintenance, 19 (6), 14-26.Google Scholar
- 6.K. Okada, M. Saruta, A. Fukukita, T. Hayakawa, T. Nishimura, M. Ishino, (2004) Wireless LAN Vibration Measurement System, INSS 2004: Second International Workshop on Networked Sensing Systems.Google Scholar
- 7.M.C. Shim, B.S. Yang, (2007) Condition monitoring system: high performance wireless measurement system, KSPSE, 11 (1), 28-32.Google Scholar
- 8.CISCO systems technical document, Cisco Aironet 1240AG Series 802.11A/B/G access point data sheet, www.cisco.comGoogle Scholar