A Computerized model for assessing the return on investment in maintenance; following up maintenance contribution in company profit
In order to reduce as much as possible the economic losses that are generated due to lack or inefficient maintenance, it is necessary to map, analyse and judge maintenance performance and act on deviations before it is too late. It is always necessary for a company to act for increasing profit and consequently enhance its competitiveness. In this paper, a software model (MainSave) has been developed for mapping, monitoring, analysis, following up and assessing the cost-effectiveness of maintenance (and maintenance investments). MainSave can be used for assessing savings and profit/losses due to maintenance performance, identify problem areas and primarily plan for new beneficial investments in maintenance. The module has been tested at Fiat/CRF in Italy. The major conclusion is; applying MainSave it would be possible to identify, assess and follow up maintenance contribution in company business.
KeywordsProfit Margin Potential Saving Maintenance Policy Company Profit Maintenance Performance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Al-Najjar, B. (1997) Condition-based maintenance: Selection and improvement of a cost-effective vibration-based policy in rolling element bearings. Doctoral thesis, ISSN 0280-722X, ISRN LUTMDN/TMIO—1006—SE, ISBN 91-628-2545-X, Lund University, Inst. of Industrial Engineering, Sweden.Google Scholar
- 3.Al-Najjar, B. (1998) Improved Effectiveness of Vibration Monitoring of Rolling Element Bearings in Paper Mills. Journal of Engineering Tribology, IMechE 1998, Proc Instn Mech Engrs, 212 part J, 111-120.Google Scholar
- 4.Al-Najjar, Basim (2007) The Lack of Maintenance and not Maintenance which Costs: A Model to Describe and Quantify the Impact of Vibration-based Maintenance on Company's Business. International Journal of Production Economics IJPPM 55(8).Google Scholar
- 6.Al-Najjar, B., Alsyouf, I., Salgado, E., Khosaba, S., Faaborg, K., (2001) Economic Importance of Maintenance Planning when using vibration-based maintenance policy, project report, Växjö University.Google Scholar
- 7.Al-Najjar, B. and Kans, M. (2006) A Model to Identify Relevant Data for Accurate Problem Tracing and Localisation, and Cost-effective Decisions: A Case Study. The International Journal of productivity and performance measurent (IJPPM), 55(8).Google Scholar
- 8.Kans, Mirka (2008) On the utilisation of information technology for the management of profitable maintenance. PhD thesis, 2008, Department of Terotechnology, Växjö University, SwedenGoogle Scholar
- 9.MIMOSA, (2006) “Common Relational Information Schema (CRIS) Version 3.1 Specification”, http://www.mimosa.org/.Google Scholar
- 10.Al-Najjar, B., Kans, M., Ingwald, A. Samadi, R. (2003) Förstudierapport - Implementering av prototyp För Ekonomisk och Teknisk UnderhållsStyrning, BETUS. Växjö University.Google Scholar
- 12.Al-Najjar, Basim, (1999), Economic criteria to select a cost-effective maintenance policy, Journal of Quality in Maintenance Engineering, 5(3).Google Scholar