Reasoning with Uncertainty
Reasoning under uncertainty with limited resources and incomplete knowledge plays a big role in everyday situations and also in many technical applications of AI. Probabilistic reasoning is the modern AI method for solving these problems. After a brief introduction to probability theory we present the powerful method of maximum entropy and Bayesian networks which are used in many applications. The medical diagnosis expert system LEXMED, developed by the author, is used to demonstrate the power of these formalisms.
KeywordsConditional Probability Expert System Bayesian Network Parent Node Conditional Independence
- [Che83]P. Cheeseman. A method for computing generalised bayesian probability values for expert systems. In Proc. of the 8th Intl. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-83), 1983. Google Scholar
- [Che85]P. Cheeseman. In defense of probability. In Proc. of the 9th Intl. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-85), 1985. Google Scholar
- [Coz98]F. G. Cozman. Javabayes, bayesian networks in java, 1998. www.cs.cmu.edu/~javabayes.
- [dD91]F. T. de Dombal. Diagnosis of Acute Abdominal Pain. Churchill Livingstone, London, 1991. Google Scholar
- [Elk93]C. Elkan. The paradoxical success of fuzzy logic. In Proceedings of the Eleventh National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-93), pages 698–703. MIT Press, Cambridge, 1993. Google Scholar
- [Ert11]W. Ertel. Artificial Intelligence, 2011. www.hs-weingarten.de/~ertel/aibook. Homepage to this book with materials, demo programs, links, literature, errata, etc.
- [FPP07]D. Freedman, R. Pisani, and R. Purves. Statistics. Norton, New York, 4th edition, 2007. Google Scholar
- [Hon94]B. Hontschik. Theorie und Praxis der Appendektomie. Mabuse, Frankfurt am Main, 1994. Google Scholar
- [Jay57]E. T. Jaynes. Information theory and statistical mechanics. Phys. Rev., 1957. Google Scholar
- [Kan89]Th. Kane. Maximum entropy in Nilsson’s probabilistic logic. In Proc. of the 11th Intl. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-89), 1989. Google Scholar
- [KK92]J. N. Kapur and H. K. Kesavan. Entropy Optimization Principles with Applications. Academic Press, San Diego, 1992. Google Scholar
- [Le999]Lexmed—a learning expert system for medical diagnosis, 1999. www.lexmed.de.
- [OFY+95]C. Ohmann, C. Franke, Q. Yang, M. Margulies, M. Chan, van P. J. Elk, F. T. de Dombal, and H. D. Röher. Diagnosescore für akute Appendizitis. Chirurg, 66:135–141, 1995. Google Scholar
- [OPB94]C. Ohmann, C. Platen, and G. Belenky. Computerunterstütze Diagnose bei akuten Bauchschmerzen. Chirurg, 63:113–123, 1994. Google Scholar
- [Pea88]J. Pearl. Probabilistic Reasoning in Intelligent Systems. Networks of Plausible Inference. Morgan Kaufmann, San Mateo, 1988. Google Scholar
- [RM96]W. Rödder and C.-H. Meyer. Coherent knowledge processing at maximum entropy by SPIRIT. In KI-96 (German National Conference on AI), Dresden, 1996. Google Scholar
- [SE00]M. Schramm and W. Ertel. Reasoning with probabilities and maximum entropy: the system PIT and its application in LEXMED. In K. Inderfurth et al., editor, Operations Research Proceedings (SOR’99), pages 274–280. Springer, Berlin, 2000. Google Scholar
- [Sho76]E. H. Shortliffe. Computer-Based Medical Consultations, MYCIN. North-Holland, New York, 1976. Google Scholar
- [Ste07]J. Stewart. Multivariable Calculus. Brooks Cole, Florence, 2007. Google Scholar
- [Whi96]J. Whittaker. Graphical Models in Applied Multivariate Statistics. Wiley, New York, 1996. Google Scholar