Perspectives for Future Power System
The Chapter describes the framework to ensure that secure system operation is also met with the electricity market and in the future power system. Legislation and agreements set requirements for transmission system planning and operational planning. The market design takes care of the implementation. In this section, the European electricity market design is referred to. The European market design illustrates ways for implementation and possibilities to face challenges introduced by electricity markets, the sustainable production of electricity and new emerging technologies.
The Chapter briefly describes electricity markets, sustainability and emerging new technologies in relation to system reliability, the co-operation and co-ordination between transmission system operators, the Chapter discusses the different congestion management methods of ensuring that induced power flows are within transfer limits.
KeywordsPower System Market Participant Power Flow Electricity Market Transmission Capacity
- 1.EC (2009) Regulation (EC) No 714/2009 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 13 July 2009 on conditions for access to the network for cross-border exchanges in electricity and repealing. Regulation (EC) No. 1228/2003, Official journal of the European Union, L211 (14.8.2009), pp 15–35Google Scholar
- 2.UCTE (2009) Operation handbook. http://www.entsoe.eu/index.php?id=57. Accessed 30 June 2010
- 3.Nordel (2007) Nordic Grid Code 2007. http://www.entsoe.eu/index.php?id=62. Accessed 13 May 2010
- 4.UCTE (2004) Final report of the Investigation Committee on the 28 September 2003 Blackout in Italy. http://www.entsoe.eu/index.php?id=59. Accessed 13 May 2010
- 5.UCTE (2007) Final report—system disturbance on 4 November 2006. http://www.entsoe.eu/index.php?id=59. Accessed 13 May 2010
- 6.EC (2009) 17th meeting of the European Electricity Regulatory Forum, Florence, 10, 11 Dec 2009. http://ec.europa.eu/energy/gas_electricity/forum_electricity_florence_en.htm. Accessed 30 Jun 2010