System Safety in an IT Service Organization
Within Logica UK, over 30 IT service projects are considered safetyrelated. These include operational IT services for airports, railway infrastructure asset management, nationwide radiation monitoring and hospital medical records services. A recent internal audit examined the processes and documents used to manage system safety on these services and made a series of recommendations for improvement. This paper looks at the changes and the challenges to introducing them, especially where the service is provided by multiple units supporting both safety and non-safety related services from multiple locations around the world. The recommendations include improvements to service agreements, improved process definitions, routine safety assessment of changes, enhanced call logging, improved staff competency and training, and increased safety awareness. Progress is reported as of today, together with a road map for implementation of the improvements to the service safety management system. A proposal for service assurance levels (SALs) is discussed as a way forward to cover the wide variety of services and associated safety risks.
KeywordsService Organization Safety Management Safety Risk Safety Aspect Service Line
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- IEC (2010) IEC 61508 Functional safety of electrical/electronic/programmable electronic safety-related systems, edition 2.0. International Electrotechnical CommissionGoogle Scholar
- IET (2006) Competence criteria for safety – related system practitioners. Guidance provided by the IET in collaboration with the HSE and BCSGoogle Scholar
- Logica (2010a) About Logica. http://www.logica.co.uk/we-are-logica/about-logica/. Accessed 13 September 2010
- Logica (2010b) Application management. http://www.logica.com/we-do/outsourcing/application-management/ . Accessed 13 September 2010
- Logica (2010c) Business process outsourcing. http://www.logica.com/we-do/outsourcing/business%20process%20outsourcing/ . Accessed 13 September 2010
- Logica (2010d) Infrastructure management. http://www.logica.com/we-do/outsourcing/infrastructure-management/. Accessed 13 September 2010
- MoD (2007a) DEF STAN 00-56 Safety management requirements for defence systems, issue 4. Ministry of DefenceGoogle Scholar
- MoD (2007) SMP13 In-service safety management system. http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/BF8B98F0-DBA9-4E56-A386-7334D77AEF77/0/SMP13v22final.pdf. Accessed 13 September 2010
- RTCA (1992) RTCA/DO-178B Software considerations in airborne systems and equipment certificationGoogle Scholar
- Boulton D (2010) GALE or ALARP: which to choose? Safety Systems 20:1:1-3. Safety-Critical Systems ClubGoogle Scholar
- Wikipedia (2010) Safety Integrity Level (SIL). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_Integrity_Level. Accessed 13 September 2010
- York (2010) Through Life Safety (TLS) course notes from MSc in safety critical systems engineering. York University Department of Computer ScienceGoogle Scholar