Testing Experiences of Safety-Critical Embedded Systems
This paper describes the author’s experiences of a test approach that has been used in the development and maintenance of a medical X-ray device used for surgical operations. It describes the activities that are performed during the preparation, execution and reporting phase of the test process, focusing on the test activities taking place in the software and the system part of the development project. Several safety related activities are executed by other disciplines, e.g. the regulatory office or hardware department, but this paper focuses on the daily work of software test engineers and system test engineers: Is their test process comparable to the process followed by other non-safety related projects? What are the specific requirements of the test process in a safety-critical environment? Are the test results documented in the same way? Is the complete system tested with maximum coverage? Are certain test-techniques preferred?
KeywordsTest Process Test Approach Test Engineer Risk Matrix Sufficient Image Quality
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Abernethy R (2008) The new Weibull handbook. Robert B Abernethy, FloridaGoogle Scholar
- BCS (2001) Standard for software component testing. British Computer Society Specialist Interest Group in Software Testing (BCS SIGIST). http://www.testingstandards.co.uk/bs_7925-2.htm. Accessed 14 June 2010
- Grochtmann M (1994) Test case design using classification trees. In Proceedings of the International Conference on Software Testing Analysis & Review (STAR), Washington DCGoogle Scholar
- Haapanen P, Helminen A (2002) Failure mode and effect analysis of software-based automation systems. STUK-YTO-TR 190, STUK, HelsinkiGoogle Scholar
- IEEE (1998) IEEE Std 829-1998 IEEE standard for software test documentation. IEEE Standards AssociationGoogle Scholar
- IEEE (1997) IEEE Std 1028-1997 IEEE standard for software reviews. IEEE Standards AssociationGoogle Scholar
- ISTQB (2010) Standard glossary of terms used in software testing. Version 2.1. ISTQB Glossary Working PartyGoogle Scholar
- Van Veenendaal E (2006) Practical risk-based testing. http://www.improveqs.nl/files/Practical_Risk-Based_Testing.pdf. Accessed 14 June 2010