Genetic Folding: A New Class of Evolutionary Algorithms
In this paper, a new class of Evolutionary Algorithm (EA) named as Genetic Folding (GF) is introduced. GF is based on novel chromosomes organisation which is structured in a parent form. In this paper, the model selection problem of Support Vector Machine (SVM) kernel expression has been utilised as a case study. Five UCI datasets have been tested and experimental results are compared with other methods. As a conclusion, the proposed algorithm is very promising and it can be applied to solve further complicated domains and problems.
KeywordsSupport Vector Machine Kernel Function Evolutionary Algorithm Genetic Programming Genetic Operator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sivanandam, S. and Deepa, S., 'Introduction to Genetic Algorithm', Springer, 15-130 (2008).Google Scholar
- 3.Cristianini, N. and Shawe-Taylor, J., 'An Introduction to Support Vector Machines: and Other Kernel-Based Learning Methods', 1st ed. Cambridge University Press, (2000).Google Scholar
- 5.Sullivan, K. and Luke, S., 'Evolving Kernels for Support Vector Machine Classification', Genetic And Evolutionary Computation Conference, 1702 – 1707 (2007).Google Scholar
- 6.Gagné, C., Schoenauer, M., Sebag, M. and Tomassini, M., 'Genetic Programming for Kernel- based Learning with Co-evolving Subsets Selection', LNCS, no. 4193, 1008-1017 (2006).Google Scholar
- 7.Howley, T. and Madden M., 'The Genetic Kernel Support Vector Machine: Description and Evaluation', Artificial Intelligence Review, vol. 24, no. 3-4, 379-395 (2005).Google Scholar
- 9.Diosan, L., Rogozan, A. and Pecuchet, J-P. , 'Evolving Kernel Functions for SVMs by Genetic Programming', Machine Learning and Applications, ICMLA, 19-24 (2007).Google Scholar
- 10.Chen, P-W., Wang, J-Y. and Lee, H-M., 'Model Selection of SVMs Using GA Approach', IEEE International Joint Conference, vol. 3, 2035-2040 (2004).Google Scholar
- 11.Staelin C., 'Parameter Selection for Support Vector Machines', HP Laboratories, (2003).Google Scholar
- 12.Lessmann, S., Stahlbock, R. and Crone, S. F., 'Genetic Algorithms for Support Vector Machine Model Selection', Proc. of the Intern. Joint Conf. on Neural Networks (IJCNN'06), Vancouver, Canada, (2006).Google Scholar
- 13.Rojas, S.A. and Fernandez-Reyes, D., 'Adapting Multiple Kernel Parameters for Support Vector Machines using Genetic Algorithms', IEEE, vol. 1. 626-631 (2005).Google Scholar
- 14.Silva S., 'GPLAB: A Genetic Programming Toolbox for MATLAB', (2007).Google Scholar
- 15."Genes & Gene Expression". The Virtual Library of Biochemistry and Cell Biology. Bio-ChemWeb.org. 2010-02-08.Google Scholar