Spyware is the general name of an entire range of nasty software that monitors the users’ activities, collects information such as keystrokes, screen images, and file directories, and either saves this information or sends it to a remote location without the knowledge or consent of the computer owner.
Spyware has become one of the biggest headaches in computer security. Users who are wizards at avoiding virus-riddled email and always install the latest updates of the operating system are finding to their surprise that in spite of all their efforts their computers are loaded with spyware. And what makes this problem worse is that most spyware is particularly tricky to get rid of.
KeywordsComputer User Federal Trade Commission Trojan Horse Public Computer Software License
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- antispyware (2009) is antispywarecoalition.org/events/may2009.php.Google Scholar
- comscore (2004) is http://www.comscore.com/.
- eBates (2005) is https://www.ebates.com/.
- FTC-work (2005) is ftc.gov/bcp/workshops/spyware/index.htm.Google Scholar
- fundrace (2010) is http://fundrace.huffingtonpost.com/.
- Google (2005) is desktop.google.com.Google Scholar
- HastaLaVista (2004) is http://www.hastalavista.com (but don’t use it, even at your own risk).
- House (2004) “Spyware: what you don’t know can hurt you.” Hearing before the subcommittee on commerce, trade, and consumer protection, April 29, 2004, serial no. 108-89. Also at access.gpo.gov/congress/house/house05ch108.html.Google Scholar
- Lavasoft (2004) is lavasoftusa.com/ or http://www.lavasoft.de/.
- opensecrets (2005) is http://www.opensecrets.org/indivs/.
- parenting (2010) is parenting.com/article/Child/Relationships/file How-to-Spy-on-Your-Child-Online.Google Scholar
- performics (2010) is performics.com/assets/File/file Affiliate-Marketing-Code-of-Conduct.pdf.Google Scholar
- purityscan (2005) is http://www.purityscan.com/.
- RIAA (2010) is riaa.com/file aboutus.php?content_selector=aboutus_members.Google Scholar
- searchcio (2010) is searchcio-midmarket.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid183_gci1075399,00.html.Google Scholar
- SpectorSoft (2004) is http://www.SpectorSoft.com/.
- Spybot (2010) is http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html.
- SpyOnYourKids (2010) is http://www.spyonyourkids.net/.
- Spy Sweeper (2005) is http://www.webroot.com/.
- spywareguide (2004) is http://www.spywareguide.com/.
- vote-smart (2005) is http://www.votesmart.org/vsdm.html.
- webroot (2004) is http://www.webroot.com/.
- Wyatt, Allen (2004) Cleaning Windows XP for Dummies, 2nd edition, New York, John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar