Billy left home when he was in his teens and went to seek his fortune in Australia. When he returned home 30 years later as a mature, successful man, his relatives came to meet him at the dock in Southampton. He later remarked on this meeting to a friend “after not having seen my mother for 30 years, I have recognized her instantly among my many aunts, uncles, and other family.” This short (and usually true) story illustrates the use of identification and authentication in real life. We authenticate a person by looking at them and listening to them, and we can do this even after a long interval during which the person has greatly changed. A computer, unfortunately, cannot see its owner/user and has to rely on other means for authentication, which is the topic of this chapter.
KeywordsSmart Card Telephone Number Social Engineering Data Encryption Standard Dictionary Attack
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- attrition (2004) is http://www.attrition.org/.
- csrc (2004) is http://csrc.nist.gov/groups/ST/toolkit/index.html.
- gemalto (2010) is gemalto.com/companyinfo/smart_cards_basics/.Google Scholar
- Grampp, F. T., and R. H. Morris (1984) “UNIX Operating System Security,” Bell Laboratories Technical Journal, 63(8)1649–1672, October.Google Scholar
- gregorybraun (2005) is http://www.gregorybraun.com/PassKeep.html.
- MD5 (2004) is http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1321.txt.
- Mitnick, Kevin D. and William Simon (2002) The Art of Deception: Controlling the Human Element of Security, New York, John Wiley.Google Scholar
- openmarket (2010) is openmarket.org/2008/05/23/fingerprint-registry-in-housing-bill/.Google Scholar
- Orebaugh, Angela D. and Gilbert Ramirez (2004) Ethereal Packet Sniffing, Rockland, Mass., Syngress.Google Scholar
- packet-sniffing (2004) is http://www.packet-sniffing.com/.
- sarnoff (2010) is http://www.sarnoff.com.
- smartcardalliance (2005) is http://www.smartcardalliance.org/pages/smart-cards.
- spywareguide (2004) is http://www.spywareguide.com/.
- Stoll, Clifford (1990) The Cuckoo’s Egg, Bodley Head.Google Scholar
- Stoll, Clifford (2004) http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/˜stoll/.