Identity theft is the crime of pretending to be someone else. The thief goes to the trouble of obtaining someone’s identity in order to gain financially from fraud, leaving the victim to sort out the resulting mess as best they can. Identity thieves use three main methods to obtain personal information:
KeywordsPersonal Information Credit Card Smart Card Proxy Server Social Security Number
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- annualcreditreport (2010) is www.annualcreditreport.com.
- APWG (2004) is http://www.antiphishing.org/
- Calif-gov (2005) “Your Social Security Number: Controlling the Key to Identity Theft,” online at http://www.privacy.ca.gov/cis4english.htm.
- creditexpert (2005) is https://www.creditexpert.com/.
- creditreporting (2005) is http://affiliates.creditreporting.com/.
- dodgeit (2004) is http://www.dodgeit.com/.
- equifax (2005) is http://www.equifax.com/.
- homograph (2005) is the PDF document at http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/˜gabr/papers/homograph_full.pdf.
- idtheftcenter (2004) is http://www.idtheftcenter.org.
- knowyourloanrate (2005) is https://www.knowyourloanrate.com/.
- mailinator (2004) is http://www.mailinator.net.
- qspace (2005) is http://qspace.iplace.com/.
- RSASecurID (2004) is http://www.rsa.com/node.aspx?id=1157.
- SaftLite (2005) is http://haoli.dnsalias.com/.
- spambob (2004) is http://spambob.net.
- spamgourmet (2004) is http://www.spamgourmet.com/.
- spendonlife (2010) is http://www.spendonlife.com/guide/identity-theft-statistics.
- ssa-form (2004) is http://www.ssa.gov/online/ssa-7004.pdf.
- ssa-stat (2005) is https://s044a90.ssa.gov/apps6a/isss/main.html.Google Scholar
- TransUnion (2005) is https://www.freecreditprofile.com/.
- Verisign (2004) is http://www.verisign.com/authentication/index.html.