What normally comes to mind, when hearing about or discussing computer security, is either viruses or some of the many security issues that have to do with networks, such as loss of privacy, identity theft, or how to secure sensitive data sent on a network. Computer security, however, is a vast discipline that also includes mundane topics such as how to physically protect computer equipment and secure it against fire, theft, or flood. This chapter is a short discussion of various topics that have to do with physical security.
KeywordsPrivacy Protection Computer Security Recovery Plan Physical Security Uninterruptible Power Supply
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- absolute (2005) is absolute.com/products/lojackforlaptops.Google Scholar
- Asonov, Dmitri and Rakesh Agrawal (2004) “Keyboard Acoustic Emanations,” IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, Oakland, California, pp. 3– 11, May. almaden.ibm.com/software/quest/Publications/papers/file ssp04.pdf.Google Scholar
- Backes, Michael, et al. (2010) Compromising Reflections, or How to Read LCD Monitors Around the Corner, available at http://www.infsec.cs.unisb.de/˜unruh/publications/reflections.pdf.
- Bar-El, Hagai (2010) Introduction to Side Channel Attacks, available at http://www.hbarel.com/Misc/side_channel_attacks.html.
- Boneh D., and D. Brumley (2004) “Remote Timing Attacks Are Practical,” available at crypto.stanford.edu/%7Edabo/abstracts/ssl-timing.html.Google Scholar
- business.com (2004) is business.com/directory/computers_and_software /security/hardware/tracking_and_theft_prevention/.Google Scholar
- Day (2010) is http://www.enigma.id.au/securing_mac_os_x.pdf.
- intelius (2005) is http://find.intelius.com/.
- Kuhn (2004) is cl.cam.ac.uk/TechReports/UCAM-CL-TR-577.pdf.Google Scholar
- mac-hack (2010b) is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98XUSYIBM6k.
- Maiwald, Eric and William Sieglein (2002) Security Planning and Disaster Recovery, Berkeley, CA, Osborne/McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Moore, Dan Tyler and MarthaWaller (1965) Cloak and Cipher, Indianapolis, IN, Bobbs-Merrill, 1962; London, Harrap.Google Scholar
- PCPhoneHome (2004) is http://www.pcphonehome.com/.
- SDattacks (2010) is http://www.sidechannelattacks.com/.
- Shamir, Adi and Eran Tromer (2004) “Acoustic cryptanalysis,” available online at wisdom.weizmann.ac.il/˜tromer/acoustic/.Google Scholar
- sweetcocoa (2005) is http://homepage.mac.com/sweetcocoa/lapcop/.
- wayback (2010) is http://www.archive.org/web/web.php.
- Wright, Peter (1989) Spycatcher: The Candid Autobiography of a Senior Intelligence Officer, New York, Random House.Google Scholar
- Zalewski, Michal (2005) Silence on the Wire: A Field Guide to Passive Reconnaissance and Indirect Attacks, San Francisco, CA, No Starch Press.Google Scholar