Kittens, Mathematical Blackjack, and Combinatorial Codes
Can coding theory help you be a better gambler? Do unexpected combinatorial patterns (called Steiner systems) arise naturally in codes? This chapter attempts to address these types of questions. (The books by Assmus and Key (Designs and Codes. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 1992) and Conway and Sloane (Sphere Packings, Lattices and Groups, 3rd edn. Springer, Berlin, 1999) do into more detail in these matters and are highly recommended.)
This chapter gives an exposition of some ideas of Hadamard and Mathieu, as well as ideas of Conway, Curtis, and Ryba connecting the Steiner system S(5,6,12) with a card game called mathematical blackjack. An implementation in SAGE is described as well. Then we turn to one of the most beautiful results in coding theory, the Assmus–Mattson Theorem, which relates certain linear codes to combinatorial structures called designs. Finally, we describe an old scheme for placing bets using Golay codes (the scheme was in fact published in a Finnish soccer magazine years before the error-correcting code itself was discovered (Hämäläinen et al., Am. Math. Mon. 102:579–588, 1995)).
Open questions which arise in this chapter include conjectures on Hadamard matrices and on which block designs “arise” from an error-correcting code.
KeywordsOrthogonal Array Linear Code Winning Strategy Hadamard Matrice Hadamard Matrix
- [AM2]Assmus, E.: Algebraic theory of codes, II. Report AFCRL-71-0013, Air Force Cambridge Research Labs, Bedford, MA. Preprint (1971). Available: http://handle.dtic.mil/100.2/AD718114
- [Co1]Conway, J.: Hexacode and tetracode—MINIMOG and MOG. In: Atkinson, M. (ed.) Computational Group Theory. Academic Press, San Diego (1984)Google Scholar
- [Co2]Conway, J.: On Numbers and Games (ONAG). Academic Press, San Diego (1976)Google Scholar
- [Cu1]Curtis, R.: The Steiner system S(5,6,12), the Mathieu group M12, and the kitten. In: Atkinson, M. (ed.) Computational Group Theory. Academic Press, San Diego (1984)Google Scholar
- [KR]Kahane, J., Ryba, A.: The hexad game. Electron. J. Comb. 8 (2001). Available at http://www.combinatorics.org/Volume_8/Abstracts/v8i2r11.html
- [Kan]Kantor, W.: Automorphism groups of Hadamard matrices. J Comb Theory 6, 279–281 (1969). Available at http://darkwing.uoregon.edu/~kantor/PAPERS/AutHadamard.pdf MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- [OEIS]The OEIS Foundation Inc.: http://oeisf.org/
- [vL2]van Lint, J.: Combinatorial designs constructed with or from coding theory. In: Longo, G. (ed.) Information Theory, New Trends and Open Problems. CISM Courses and Lectures, vol. 219, pp. 227–262. Springer, Wien (1975). Available: http://alexandria.tue.nl/repository/freearticles/593587.pdf CrossRefGoogle Scholar