Background on Information Theory and Coding Theory
- 1.6k Downloads
This chapter summarizing background information assumes that the reader has some familiarity with linear algebra and basic probability. The basic model of information theory and error-correcting block codes is introduced. The basic example of the Hamming [7,4,3] code is presented in detail.
What is ironic is that even in basic background issues, coding theory has interesting open questions. For example, for a given length and dimension, which code is the best 2-error-correcting code? Another example: see Manin’s theorem 19 and the closely related Conjecture 22 below.
KeywordsLinear Code Cyclic Code Asymptotic Bound Cyclic Shift Quadratic Residue
- [Af]Aftab, Cheung, Kim, Thakkar, Yeddanapudi: Information theory. Student term project in a course at MIT http://web.mit.edu/6.933/www/. Preprint (2001). Available: http://web.mit.edu/6.933/www/Fall2001/Shannon2.pdf
- [Bal]Ball, S.: On large subsets of a nite vector space in which every subset of basis size is a basis. Preprint, Dec. (2010). http://www-ma4.upc.es/~simeon/jems-mds-conj-revised.pdf
- [Ba]A. Barg’s Coding Theory webpage http://www.ece.umd.edu/~abarg/
- [BGT]Berrou, C., Glavieux, A., Thitimajshima, P.: Near Shannon limit error-correcting coding and decoding: Turbo-codes. Communications (1993). ICC 93. Geneva. Technical Program, Conference Record, IEEE International Conference on, vol. 2, pp. 1064–1070 (1993). Available: http://www-classes.usc.edu/engr/ee-s/568/org/Original.pdf
- [Hi]Hirschfeld, J.W.P.: The main conjecture for MDS codes. In: Cryptography and Coding. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 1025. Springer, Berlin (1995). Avaialble from: http://www.maths.sussex.ac.uk/Staff/JWPH/RESEARCH/research.html CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- [MN]MacKay, D.J.C., Radford, M.N.: Near Shannon limit performance of low density parity check codes. Electronics Letters, July (1996). Available: http://www.inference.phy.cam.ac.uk/mackay/abstracts/mncEL.html CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- [S]The SAGE Group: SAGE: Mathematical software, Version 4.6. http://www.sagemath.org/
- [V3]Voloch, F.: Computing the minimum distance of cyclic codes. Preprint. Available: http://www.ma.utexas.edu/users/voloch/preprint.html