Classical and Quantum: Some Mutual Clarifications
This paper presents two unconventional links between quantum and classical physics. The first link appears in the study of quantum cryptography. In the presence of a spy, the quantum correlations shared by Alice and Bob are imperfect. One can either process the quantum information, recover perfect correlations and finally measure the quantum systems; or, one can perform the measurements first and then process the classical information. These two procedures tolerate exactly the same error rate for a wide class of attacks by the spy. The second link is drawn between the quantum notions of “no-cloning theorem” and “weak-measurements with post-selection”, and simple experiments using classical polarized light and ordinary telecom devices.
KeywordsEntangle State Polarization Mode Quantum Cryptography Weak Measurement Quantum Cloning
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Acín, N. Gisin, L. Masanes, quant-ph/0303053, accepted in Phys. Rev. Lett. Google Scholar
- 2.A. Acín, N. Gisin, V. Scarani, quant-ph/0303009, accepted inQuant. Inf. Com put. Google Scholar
- 3.Y. Aharonov, D. Albert, L. Vaidman Phys. Rev. Lett. 60 (1988), 1351. Two recent reviews: Y. Aharonov, L. Vaidman, quant-ph/0105101 (2001), published in Time in Quantum Mechanics,J. G. Muga, R. Sala Mayato and I. L. Egusquiza, eds., Lecture Notes in Physics, Springer Verlag, 2002; and A.M. Steinberg, quant-ph/0302003 2003).Google Scholar
- 5.N. Brunner, A. Acín, D. Collins, N. Gisin, V. Scarani, quant-ph/0306108, accepted in Phys. Rev. Lett.; N. Brunner, quant-ph/0309055.Google Scholar
- 6.D. Bruss, M. Christandl, A. Ekert, B.-G. Englert, D. Kaszlikowski, C. Macchiavello, Phys. Rev. Lett. 91 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.S. Fasel, N. Gisin, G. Ribordy, V. Scarani, H. Zbinden, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89 (2002) Google Scholar
- 8.C. Fuchs, N. Gisin, R.B. Griffiths, C.-S. Niu, A. Peres, Phys. Rev. A 56 (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.N. Gisin, G. Ribordy, W. Tittel, H. Zbinden, XXX Rev. Mod. Phys 74 (2002) Google Scholar
- 10.N. Gisin and S. Wolf, Phys. Rev. Lett. 83 (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.V. Scarani, N. Gisin Phys. Rev. Lett. 87 (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.C. Simon, G. Weihs, A. Zeilinger, Phys. Rev. Lett. 84 (2000)Google Scholar
- 13.W.K. Wootters, W.H. Zurek, Nature. 299 (1982)Google Scholar