Cocycles, Compatibility, and Poisson Brackets for Complex Fluids
Motivated by Poisson structures for complex fluids, such as the Poisson structure for spin glasses given in Holm and Kupershmidt , we investigate a general construction of Poisson brackets with cocycles. Connections with the construction of compatible brackets found in the theory of integrable systems are also briefly discussed.
KeywordsPoisson Bracket Spin Glass Symplectic Manifold Poisson Structure Tensor Field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- R. Abraham, J. E. Marsden, and T. S. Ratiu, Manifolds, Tensor Analysis and Applications, 2nd ed., Applied Mathematical Sciences 75, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1988.Google Scholar
- V. I. Arnold, Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics, 1st and 2nd eds., Graduate Texts in Mathematics 60, Springer-Verlag, 1978 and 1989.Google Scholar
- H. Cendra, J. E. Marsden, S. Pekarsky, and T. S. Ratiu, Variational principles for Lie-Poisson and Hamilton-Poincaré equations, Moscow Math. J., special issue for the 65th birthday of V. Arnold, to appear (2003).Google Scholar
- H. Cendra, J. E. Marsden, and T. S. Ratiu, Lagrangian Reduction by Stages, Memoirs of the American Mathematical Society 152, AMS, Providence, RI, 2001a.Google Scholar
- H. Cendra, J. E. Marsden, and T. S. Ratiu, Geometric mechanics, Lagrangian reduction, and nonholonomic systems. in B. Enquist and W. Schmid, eds., Mathematics Unlimited: 2001 and Beyond, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2001b, 221–273.Google Scholar
- M. Gotay, J. Isenberg, and J. E. Marsden, Momentum Maps and the Hamiltonian Structure of Classical Relativistic Field Theories I, 1997; available online from http://www.cds.caltech.edu/~marsden/.
- D. D. Holm, Euler-Poincaré dynamics of perfect complex fluids, in P. Newton, P. Holmes, and A. Weinstein, Geometry, Mechanics, and Dynamics, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2002, 113–168.Google Scholar
- B. A. Kupershmidt, Discrete Lax equations and differential-difference calculus, Astérisque, 212 (1985).Google Scholar
- J. Marsden, G. Misiolek, J. P. Ortega, M. Perlmutter, and T. Ratiu, Symplectic Reduction by Stages, preprint, 2002.Google Scholar
- J. E. Marsden and T. S. Ratiu, Introduction to Mechanics and Symmetry, 1st and 2nd eds., Texts in Applied Mathematics 17, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1994 and 1999.Google Scholar
- R. Montgomery, The Bundle Picture in Mechanics, Ph.D. thesis, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, 1986.Google Scholar
- H. C. Öttinger, Modeling complex fluids with a tensor and a scalar as structural variables, Rev. Mexicana Fis., 48 (2002), supl. 1, 220–229.Google Scholar