Variational Methods of Optimal Control Theory
Since our main interest is related to the mathematical theory of the parameterized optimal control problems (OCP ε ) for partial differential equations (PDEs), we discuss in this chapter general questions of optimal control theory, different settings of optimal control problems (OCPs) for distributed systems in variable spaces, the direct method of Calculus of Variation, the topological properties of solutions to ill-posed problems, optimality conditions for a wide class of extremal problems in the form of variational inequalities and also questions related to the construction of approximative solutions to different classes of OCPs. We refer to Alekseev, Tikchomirov and Fomin (1987), Egorov (1978), Fursikov (2000), Ivanenko and Mel’nik (1988), Lions (1981), Zgurovsky and Mel’nik (2004), Bonnans and Shapiro (2000), etc., or the textbooks by Tröltzsch (2010) and Mordukhovich (2006) for more results concerning this topic. A recent account on PDE-constrained OCP’s can also be found in Hinze, Pinnau, Ulbrich and Ulbrich (2009).
KeywordsBanach Space Variational Method Optimal Control Problem Extremal Problem Weak Topology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.V. Alekseev, V. Tikchomirov, and S. Fomin. Optimal Control. Counsultant Bureau, New York, 1987. Google Scholar
- 24.J. F. Bonnans and A. Shapiro. Perturbation Analysis of Optimization Problems. Springer, New York, 2000. Google Scholar
- 103.A. Egorov. Optimal Control of Heat and Diffusion Processes. Nauka, Moskow, 1978. Google Scholar
- 111.A. V. Fursikov. Optimal Control of Distributed Systems. Theory and Applications. AMS, Providence, RI, 2000. Google Scholar
- 122.M. Hinze, R. Pinnau, M. Ulbrich, and S. Ulbrich. Optimization with PDE Constraints. Springer, Dordrecht, 2009. Google Scholar
- 126.V. I. Ivanenko and V. S. Mel’nik. Variational Methods in Optimal Control Problem for Distributed Systems. Naukova Dumka, Kyiv, 1988. (in Russian) Google Scholar
- 171.J.-L. Lions. Some Methods in the Mathematical Analysis of System and their Control. Gordon and Breach, New York, 1981. Google Scholar
- 190.Boris S. Mordukhovich. Variational Analysis and Generalized Differentiation. I: Basic Theory. II: Applications. Springer, Berlin, 2006. Google Scholar
- 242.Fredi Tröltzsch. Optimal Control of Partial Differential Equations. Theory, Methods and Applications. AMS, Providence, RI, 2010. Google Scholar
- 253.M. Z. Zgurovsky and V. S. Mel’nik. Nonlinear Analysis and Control of Physical Processes and Fields. Springer, Berlin, 2004. Google Scholar