Wavelets, a Numerical Tool for Atmospheric Data Analysis
Multiresolution methods, such as the wavelet decompositions, are increasingly used in physical applications where multiscale phenomena occur. We present in this review paper two applications illustrating that the classical 30-year-old continuous wavelets are still used and useful in physics. In the first part, using a Continuous Wavelet Transform (CWT) for the determination of local QBO (Quasi-Biennial Oscillation) period, we reexamine the previous finding that the period of the QBO in the lower stratosphere is longer during solar minima. In the second part, we use a wavelet-based multifractal approach to describe qualitatively and quantitatively the complex temporal patterns of atmospheric data. Time series of geopotential height are used in this study. More detailed versions of these results have already been published in dedicated papers.
KeywordsPartition Function Solar Cycle Mother Wavelet Continuous Wavelet Transform Singularity Spectrum
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The research was supported by the National Science Foundation, Climate Dynamics Program, under grant ATM-0332364, and the DGA (French Defense Department) under contract 06.60.018.00.470.75.01.
- 4.Arneodo, A., Argoul, F., Bacry, E., Elezgaray, J., Muzy, J.F.: Ondelettes, multifractales et turbulence, Diderot Editeur, Paris, France (1995).Google Scholar
- 6.Baldwin, M.P., http://www.nwra.com/resumes/baldwin/nam.php
- 7.Fischer P, Tung K.K.: Wavelets, a numerical tool for multiscale phenomena: from two-dimensional turbulence to atmospheric data analysis., J. Num. Anal. And Mod., 5, 64–84 (2008).Google Scholar
- 8.Fischer P, Tung K.K., Wavelet-based Multifractal Analysis of atmospheric data, Draft version.Google Scholar
- 10.Hamilton, K., Hsieh, W.: Representation of the quasi-biennial oscillation in the tropical stratospheric wind by nonlinear principal component analysis, J. Geophys. Res., 10 D15, 4232, 10.1029/2001JD001250 (2002).Google Scholar
- 13.Mallat, S., Zhong, S.: Wavelet transform maxima and multiscale edges, in: R.M. B. et al. (Eds.), Wavelets and their Applications, Jones and Bartlett, Boston (1991).Google Scholar
- 16.NOAA-CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center in Boulder, Colorado, USA, http://www.cdc.noaa.gov