In this chapter we focus on the basics of nonlinear elasticity in order to show its interesting mathematical and physical aspects. Readers who are interested in delving deeper into this subject should refer to the many existing books on it (see, for instance, –).
KeywordsBoundary Value Problem Linear Elasticity Nonlinear Elasticity Homogeneous Deformation Cauchy Stress Tensor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- J. L. Ericksen, Deformation possible in every compressible, isotropic, perfectly elastic material, J. Math. Phys., 34(2), July, 1955.Google Scholar
- L. R. G. Treloar, The Physics of Rubber Elasticity, Second Edition, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1958.Google Scholar
- W. Van Buren, On the Existence and Uniqueness of Solutions to Boundary Value Problems in Finite Elasticity, Thesis (Report 68-107 MEKMARI), Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, 1968.Google Scholar
- J. J. Rushchitsky, C. Cattani, Similarities and differences in the description of the evolution of quadratically nonlinear hyperelastic plane waves by Murnaghan and Signorini potentials, Prikl. Mekh., 42, 997, 2006. (in Russian; translation in Int. Appl. Mech., 42, 41, 2006).Google Scholar
- C. Truesdell, R. A. Toupin, In: S. Flügge (ed), The Classical Field Theories, The Encyclopedia of Physics Vol. 3/I, Springer, Berlin, 1960.Google Scholar
- T. Valent, Boundary value problems of finite elasticity, Springer Tracts in Natural Philosophy Vol. 31, Springer, Berlin, 1988.Google Scholar
- C. Truesdell, W. Noll, The Nonlinear Field Theories of Mechanics, Handbuch der Physik Vol. III/3, Springer, Berlin, 1965.Google Scholar
- M. Major, Velocity of acceleration wave propagating in hyperelastic Zahorski and Mooney–Rivlin materials, J. Theor. Appl. Mech., 43, 777, 2005.Google Scholar
- A. Signorini, Trasformazioni termoelastiche finite: elasticità di 2 grado, Atti 2 Congresso Un. Mat. Ital., 1942.Google Scholar
- A. Romano, R. Lancellotta, A. Marasco, Continuum Mechanics Using Mathematica® : Fundamentals, Methods, and Applications, Birkhäuser, Boston, 2005.Google Scholar
- G. Capriz, P. Podio-Guidugli, Duality and stability questions for the linearized traction problem with live loads in elasticity, in: F. H. Schroeder (ed), Stability in the Mechanics of Continua, Springer, Berlin, 1982.Google Scholar