Multiplicative Renormalization and Hopf Algebras
We derive the existence of Hopf subalgebras generated by Green’s functions in the Hopf algebra of Feynman graphs of a quantum field theory. This means that the coproduct closes on these Green’s functions. It allows us for example to derive Dyson’s formulas in quantum electrodynamics relating the renormalized and bare proper functions via the renormalization constants and the analogous formulas for non-abelian gauge theories. In the latter case, we observe the crucial role played by Slavnov–Taylor identities.
KeywordsHopf Algebra Ward Identity Feynman Graph Renormalization Constant Hopf Subalgebra
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- C. Brouder and A. Frabetti. Noncommutative renormalization for massless qed, hep-th/0011161.Google Scholar
- J. Collins. Renormalization. Cambridge University Press, 1984.Google Scholar
- A. Connes and D. Kreimer. Renormalization in quantum field theory and the Riemann–Hilbert problem. I: The Hopf algebra structure of graphs and the main theorem. Comm. Math. Phys. 210 (2000) 249–273.Google Scholar
- C. Itzykson and J. B. Zuber. Quantum field theory. McGraw-Hill International Book Co., New York, 1980. International Series in Pure and Applied Physics.Google Scholar
- D. Kreimer. Dyson–Schwinger equations: From Hopf algebras to number theory. Fields Inst.Commun. 50 (2007) 225–248.Google Scholar
- P. Pascual and R. Tarrach. QCD: Renormalization for the practitioner. In Lecture Notes in Physics, volume 194. Springer-Verlag, Boston, 1984.Google Scholar