The Diagonal of the Stasheff Polytope
- 1.1k Downloads
We construct an A-infinity structure on the tensor product of two A-infinity algebras by using the simplicial decomposition of the Stasheff polytope. The key point is the construction of an operad AA-infinity based on the simplicial Stasheff polytope. The operad AA-infinity admits a coassociative diagonal and the operad A-infinity is a retract by deformation of it. We compare these constructions with analogous constructions due to Saneblidze–Umble and Markl–Shnider based on the Boardman–Vogt cubical decomposition of the Stasheff polytope.
Key wordsStasheff polytope Associahedron Operad Bar–cobar construction Cobarconstruction A-infinity algebra AA-infinity algebra Diagonal
I thank Bruno Vallette for illuminating discussions on the algebras up to homotopy and Samson Saneblidze for sharing his drawings with me some years ago. Thanks to Emily Burgunder, Martin Markl, Samson Saneblidze, Jim Stasheff and Ron Umble for their comments on the previous versions of this paper. I warmly thank the referee for his careful reading and his precious comments which helped me to improve this text.This work is partially supported by the French agency ANR.
- 1.Boardman, J.M., Vogt, R.M.: Homotopy invariant algebraic structures on topological spaces. Lecture Notes in Mathematics, vol. 347, p. 257. Springer, Berlin (1973)Google Scholar
- 4.Kadeishvili, T., Saneblidze, S.: The twisted Cartesian model for the double path fibration. ArXiv math.AT/0210224Google Scholar
- 9.MacLane, S.: Homology. Die Grundlehren der mathematischen Wissenschaften, Bd, vol. 114, p. 422. Academic, New York (1963)Google Scholar
- 10.Markl, M., Shnider, S., Stasheff, J.: Operads in algebra, topology and physics. Mathematical Surveys and Monographs vol. 96, p. 349. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Markl, M., Shnider, S.: Associahedra, cellular W-construction and products of A ∞-algebras. Trans. Am. Math. Soc. 358(6), 2353–2372 (2006) (electronic)Google Scholar
- 12.Prouté, A.: A ∞-structures, modèle minimal de Baues-Lemaire et homologie des fibrations. Thèse d’Etat. Université Paris VII (1984)Google Scholar
- 13.Saneblidze, S., Umble, R.: A Diagonal on the Associahedra, preprint. ArXiv math.AT/0011065Google Scholar