Aims and Objectives
• To introduce bifurcation theory in the plane.
• To introduce the notion of steady-state solution and investigate multistability and bistability.
• To introduce the theory of normal forms.
On completion of this chapter, the reader should be able to
• describe how a phase portrait changes as a parameter changes;
• plot bifurcation diagrams;
• take transformations to obtain simple normal forms;
• interpret the bifurcation diagrams in terms of physical behavior.
KeywordsNormal Form Hopf Bifurcation Phase Portrait Bifurcation Diagram Bifurcation Theory
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.