Electromagnetic Waves and Optical Resonators
Aims and Objectives
• To introduce some theory of electromagnetic waves.
• To introduce optical bistability and show some related devices.
• To discuss possible future applications.
• To apply some of the theory of nonlinear dynamical systems to model a real physical system.
On completion of this chapter, the reader should be able to
• understand the basic theory of Maxwell’s equations;
• derive the equations to model a nonlinear simple fiber ring (SFR) resonator;
• investigate some of the dynamics displayed by these devices and plot chaotic attractors;
• use a linear stability analysis to predict regions of instability and bistability;
• plot bifurcation diagrams using the first and second iterative methods;
• compare the results from four different methods of analysis.
KeywordsElectromagnetic Wave Bifurcation Diagram Chaotic Attractor Linear Stability Analysis Ring Resonator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.