Linear Discrete Dynamical Systems
Aims and Objectives
• To introduce recurrence relations for first- and second-order difference equations.
• To introduce the theory of the Leslie model.
• To apply the theory to modeling the population of a single species.
On completion of this chapter, the reader should be able to
• solve first- and second-order homogeneous linear difference equations;
• find eigenvalues and eigenvectors of matrices;
• model a single population with different age classes;
• predict the long-term rate of growth/decline of the population;
• investigate how harvesting and culling policies affect the model.
KeywordsRecurrence Relation Discrete Dynamical System Leslie Model Dominant Eigenvalue Linear Difference Equation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.