Optimization models for semiconductor dopant profiling
The design of semiconductor devices is an important and challenging task in modern microelectronics, which is increasingly being carried out via mathematical optimization with models for the device behavior. The design variable (and correspondingly the unknown in the associated optimization problems) is the device doping profile, which describes the (charge) density of ion impurities in the device and is therefore modeled as a spatially inhomogeneous function. The optimization goals are usually related to the device characteristics, in particular to outflow currents on some contacts. This is also the typical setup we shall confine ourselves to in this chapter, namely to (approximately) achieve a certain goal related to the outflow current on a contact (e.g., a maximization or just an increase of the current), ideally with minimal change of the doping profile to some given reference state.
KeywordsDesign Variable Lagrange Multiplier Optimization Model Limit Problem Semiconductor Dopant
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [HP02a] M. Hinze, R. Pinnau, Optimal control of the drift-diffusion model for semiconductor devices, in: K.H. Hoffmann, G. Lengering, J. Sprekels, and F. Trottzch (eds.): Optimal Control of Complex Structures, Birkhäuser, Basel (2002), 95–106.Google Scholar
- [HP05]M. Hinze, R. Pinnau, Mathematical tools in optimal semiconductor design, to appear in TTSP (2005).Google Scholar
- [HP06]M. Hinze, R. Pinnau, A second order approach to optimal semiconductor design, to appear in JOTA (2006).Google Scholar
- [PSSS98]R. Plasun, M. Stockinger, R. Strasser, and S. Selberherr, Simulation based optimization environment and its application to semiconductor devices, in: Proceedings IASTED Intl. Conf. on Applied Modelling and Simulation, 1998, pp. 313–316.Google Scholar
- [St00]M. Stockinger, Optimization of ultra-low-power CMOS transistors, PhD Thesis, Technical University Vienna, 2000.Google Scholar
- [Stea98]M. Stockinger, R. Strasser, R. Plasun, A. Wild, and S. Selberherr, A Qualitative Study on Optimized MOSFET Doping Profiles, in: Proceedings SISPAD 98 Conf., Leuven, 1998, pp. 77–80.Google Scholar