Results on optimal rate of convergence to equilibrium for spatially homogeneous Maxwellian gases
This chapter aims to provide a unified presentation of some recent studies (see [CGT99], [CCG00], [BGR05], [CCG05] and [GR05]) on the convergence to equilibrium of the solution of Boltzmann’s equation for Maxwellian pseudomolecules and, in particular, of the solution of Kac’s analog of Boltzmann’s equation. The main feature of these researches, with respect to the other ones, is the pursuit of the optimal rate of exponential convergence both in a weighted X-metric (see for example [GTW95]) and in the total variation metric for probability measures. For the definition of these metrics see the next section. Now, recall the following basic facts about the aforesaid equations.
KeywordsFisher Information Optimal Rate Exponential Convergence Fourth Moment Total Variation Distance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BGR05]F. Bassetti, E. Gabetta, E. Regazzini: On the depth of the trees in the McKean representation of Wild’s sums. IMATI Publication N.27-PV (2005); to appear in Transport Theory and Stat. Phys.Google Scholar
- [Co70]L. Comtet: Analyse Combinatoire, Presses Universitaire de France, Paris (1970).Google Scholar
- [GR05]E. Gabetta, E. Regazzini: Some new results for McKean’s graphs with applications to Kac’s equation. IMATI Publications N.28-PV (2005); to appear in Jour. Stat. Phys.Google Scholar
- [Ka56]M. Kac: Foundations of kinetic theory. Proceedings of the third Berkeley Symposium on Mathematical and Statistical Problems. J. Neyman, ed. University of California, vol. 3, 171–197 (1956).Google Scholar
- [Ra91]S. T. Rachev: Probability Metrics and the Stability of Stochastic Modules, Wiley, Chichester (1991).Google Scholar
- [Vi03]C. Villani: Topics on Optimal Transportation. Am. Math. Soc., Providence, RI (2003).Google Scholar
- [WU70]C. S. Wang Chang, G. E. Uhlenbeck: The Kinetic Theory of Gases. In: Studies in Statistical Mechanics V, eds. J. de Boer and G. E. Uhlenbeck, Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Co., 1970.Google Scholar