Issues for Lexicon Building
Taking for granted the importance of a lexical component in any linguistic application within the so-called ‘language industry’, this paper aims at highlighting some of the issues which have to be carefully evaluated with regard to any future actions for building large-size computational lexicons. The following aspects, considered of crucial relevance, particularly if one aims at a set of interconnected lexicons for different languages, are presented: design of lexicon architecture, role of user needs, need for standardization, multilinguality, role of textual corpora, organizational aspects, intellectual property rights, and the role of national and international bodies.
KeywordsMachine Translation Text Corpus Computational Linguistics Lexical Unit Linguistic Description
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Calzolari, N., “Computer-aided Lexicography: Dictionaries and Word Data Bases”, in Batori, I.S., Lenders, W., Putschke, W. (eds.), Computational Linguistics, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin, 1989, 510–519.Google Scholar
- Calzolari, N., Zampolli, A., “Lexical Databases and Textual Corpora: a Trend of Convergence between Computational Linguistics and Literary and Linguistic Computing”, Research in Humanities Computing, Hockey, S., Ide, N. (eds.), Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1991, 273–307.Google Scholar
- Formalisms Working Group, “WG Linguistic Formalisms Workplan”, Internal Report EAG-FWG-WP Saarbrücken, 1993.Google Scholar
- Heid, U., McNaught, J. (eds.), “Eurotra-7 Study: Feasibility and Project Definition Study on the Reusability of Lexical and Terminological Resources in Computerised Applications”, Eurotra-7 Final Report, Stuttgart, 1991.Google Scholar
- Heylen, D. (ed.), “Collocations and the Lexicalisation of Semantic Information”, Final Report ET-10/75, Utrecht, 1993.Google Scholar
- Lexicon Working Group, “WG Computational Lexicon Workplan”, Internal Report EAG-LWG-WP, Pisa, 1993.Google Scholar
- McNaught, J., Caroli, F., Hellwig, P., “Possible Applications of Reusable Lexical Resources”, Eurotra-7 Technical Report, Manchester, 1990.Google Scholar
- Menon, B., Modiano, N., “Working Group on Computational Lexicons, Task 1 - Lexicon Architecture”, Prefinal Technical Report EAG-LWG-T1.1, Paris, 1993.Google Scholar
- Walker, D., Zampolli, A., Calzolari, N., Automating the Lexicon: Research and Practice in a Multilingual Environment, Proceedings of a Workshop held in Grosseto, Oxford University Press, Oxford, 1994.Google Scholar