There is Nothing Special about Genetic Information
One often encounters the idea that there is something special about genetic information, that it is somehow different from, or more important than other health related information we can get about ourselves or other persons. There are conferences and research projects dealing with genetic information that implicitly reaffirm this idea, and it is also prevalent in the public debate where genetic tests are generally viewed with a mixture of awe and suspicion. But is there really something special about genetic information, or are we just mislead by the fact that genetics is the latest in a long range of scientific fields which have at different times captured public attention?
KeywordsGenetic Information Health Related Information Employment Decision Bell Curve Congenital Syphilis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cranor, C.F. (ed.) (1994), Are Genes Us? The Social Consequences of the New Genetics, Rutgers University Press: New Brunswick, NJ.Google Scholar
- Friedlander, H. (1995), The Origins of Nazi Genocide: From Euthanasia to the Final Solution, University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, NC.Google Scholar
- Herrnstein, R.J. and Murray, C. (1994), The Bell Curve Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life, The Free Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Ingemann, B.S. (1992), Fjorten Eventyr og Fortcellinger (1820–1864), Borgens Forlag, København.Google Scholar
- Larson, E.J. (1995), Sex, Race, and Science: Eugenics in the Deep South, John Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, MD.Google Scholar
- Lov nr. 296 af 24. april 1996 om brug af helbredsoplysninger mv. På arbejdsmarkedet.Google Scholar
- Lukes, S. (ed.) (1986), Power, Blackwell Publishers, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Nelkin, D. and Lindee, M.S. (1995), The DNA Mystique: The Gene as a Cultural Icon, W.H. Freeman and Company, New York.Google Scholar
- Pernick, M.S. (1996), The Black Stork: Eugenics and the Death of “Defective” Babies in American Medicine and Motion Pictures Since 1915, Oxford University Press, New York.Google Scholar
- R v. Brown et al.  1 A.C. 212.Google Scholar