The problem of factoring polynomials arises in numerous areas in symbolic computation. Indeed, it plays a critical role as a subproblem to many other problems including simplification, symbolic integration and the solution of polynomial equations. Polynomial fac torization also plays a significant role in such diverse fields as algebraic coding theory, cryptography and number theory.
KeywordsComputer Algebra Minimal Polynomial Irreducible Polynomial Irreducible Factor Multivariate Polynomial
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.I.N. Herstein, Topics in Algebra, Blaisdell (1964).Google Scholar
- 6.E. Kaltofen, “Factorization of Polynomials,” pp. 95–113 in Computer Algebra — Symbolic and Algebraic Computation, ed. B. Buchberger, G.E. Collins and R. Loos, Springer-Verlag (1982).Google Scholar
- 7.D.E. Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Volume 2: Seminumerical Algorithms (second edition), Addison-Wesley (1981).Google Scholar
- 10.A.K. Lenstra, “Factorization of Polynomials,” pp. 169–198 in Computational Methods in Number Theory, ed. H.W. Lenstra, R. Tijdeman, (1982).Google Scholar
- 12.A.K. Lenstra, “Factoring Polynomials over Algebraic Number Fields,” pp. 245–254 in Proc. EUROCAL’ 83, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 162, ed. H. van Hulzen, Springer-Verlag (1983).Google Scholar
- 13.R. Lidl and H. Niederreiter, Introduction to Finite Fields and their Applications, Cambridge University Press (1986).Google Scholar
- 14.R.J. McEliece, Finite Fields for Computer Scientists and Engineers, Kluwer Academic Publishers (1987).Google Scholar
- 17.B. Trager, “Algebraic Factoring and Rational Function Integration,” pp. 219–226 in Proc. SYMSAC’ 76, ed. R.D. Jenks, ACM Press (1976).Google Scholar
- 18.B.L. van der Waerden, Modern Algebra (Vols. I and II), Ungar (1970).Google Scholar
- 21.P.S. Wang, “Parallel p-adic Construction in the Univariate Polynomial Factoring Algorithm,” Proc. of MACSYMA Users Conference, pp. 310–318 (1979).Google Scholar
- 22.D.Y.Y. Yun, “On Square-Free Decomposition Algorithms,” pp. 26–35 in Proc. SYMSAC’ 76, ed. R.D. Jenks, ACM Press (1976).Google Scholar