The Case for Wireless Overlay Networks
Wireless data services, other than those for electronic mail or paging, have thus far been more of a promise than a success. We believe that future mobile information systems must be built upon heterogeneous wireless overlay networks, extending traditional wired and internetworked processing “islands” to hosts on the move over coverage areas ranging from in-room, in-building, campus, metropolitan, and wide-areas. Unfortunately, network planners continue to think in terms of homogeneous wireless communications systems and technologies. In this paper, we describe our approach towards a new wireless data networking architecture that integrates diverse wireless technologies into a seamless wireless (and wireline) internetwork. In addition, we describe the applications support services needed to make it possible for applications to continue to operate as mobile hosts roam across such networks.
KeywordsMobile Host Overlay Network Vertical Handoff Handoff Decision Packet Radio Network
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Balakrishnan, S. Seshan, E. Amir, R. H. Katz, “Improving TCP/IP Performance over Wireless Networks,” ACM Mobile Computing and Networking Conference, Berkeley, CA, (November 1995).Google Scholar
- E. A. Brewer, “Portable High-Performance Supercomputing: High-Level Platform-Specific Optimization,” MIT Ph.D. Dissertation, September 1994.Google Scholar
- B. Denny, J. Escobar, Presentation on “Mobility” at DARTNet II Meeting, Xerox PARC, (March 1995).Google Scholar
- S. Floyd, Presentation on “Packet Scheduling Result” at DARTNet II Meeting, Xerox PARC, (March 1995).Google Scholar
- R. Ghai, S. Singh, “An Architecture and Communications Protocol for Picocellular Networks,” IEEE Personal Communications Magazine, Third Quarter 1994, pp. 36–46.Google Scholar
- J. Ioannidis, D. Duchamp, G. Q. Maguire, Jr., “IP-based Protocols for Mobile Internetworking,” Proceedings 1991 ACM SIGCOMM Conference, pp. 235–245.Google Scholar
- J. Jubin, J. D. Tornow, “The DARPA Packet Radio Network Protocols,” Proc. IEEE, V 75,N 1, (January 1987), pp. 21–32.Google Scholar
- R. E. Kahn, et al., “Advances in Packet Radio Technology,” Proceeding IEEE, V 66,N 11, (Nov 1978), pp. 1468–1496.Google Scholar
- A. Myles, D. Skellern, “Comparing Four IP-based Mobile Host Protocols,” Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, V 26, (November 1993), pp. 349–355.Google Scholar
- C. Perkins, “Providing Continuous Network Access to Mobile Hosts using TCP/IP,” Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, V 26, (November 1993), pp. 357–369.Google Scholar