The Turner Farm Site
The Turner Farm site is located on North Haven Island in Penobscot Bay (Figures 2.1 and 2.2). North Haven is the second largest of the Fox Islands, which also include the larger island of Vinalhaven and 93 smaller islands. Like most of the 153 recorded prehistoric archaeological sites on the Fox Islands, the Turner Farm site is a shell midden situated on a relatively level terrace facing a gravel beach. It is one of the largest and deepest Fox Island sites, encompassing about 2,300 m2 and reaching depths in excess of 1.5 m. Its deposits preserve what is probably the longest and most complex cultural sequence on the Gulf of Maine coast. The Fox Islands, which today are devoid of foxes, were so named in 1603 by English explorer Martin Pring (McLane 1982:95). Throughout most of the seventeenth and early eighteenth centuries they were part of the French colony of Acadia. Although numerous primary historic accounts refer to both Indian and French settlements on Penobscot Bay islands, apparently none were on the Fox Islands (see, e.g., Bourque 1989).
KeywordsCleft Palate Faunal Remains Shell Midden Level Terrace Gravel Beach
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.