Fundamentals of Object-Oriented Specification and Modeling of Collective Behaviors
Starting from an analysis of the components that an applicable theory of programs needs, the fundamentals of object-oriented specification of collective behaviors are considered. It is shown that incremental derivation of operational models can be supported by a design methodology with a firm theoretical foundation, and that formal reasoning on behavioral properties is possible already in early stages of specification.
KeywordsCollective Behavior Safety Property Behavioral Property Program Variable Execution Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [B87]Brooks, F.P.Jr., “No silver bullet — Essence and accidents of software engineering,” Computer 20,4, April 1987, pp. 10–19.Google Scholar
- [CM88]Chandy, K.M., Misra, J., “Parallel Program Design — A Foundation,” Addison-Wesley, 1988.Google Scholar
- [J95]Jackson, M., “The world and the machine,” Proc. 17th Int. Conf. on Software Eng., 1995, pp. 283–292.Google Scholar
- [J92]Jarvinen, H.-M., “The design of a specification language for reactive systems,” Tampere University of Technology, Publication 95, 1992.Google Scholar
- [JKSS90]Jarvinen, H.-M., Kurki-Suonio, R., Sakkinen, M, Systä, K., “Object-oriented specification of reactive systems,” Proc. 12th Int. Conf. on Software Eng., 1990, pp. 63–71.Google Scholar
- [K92b]Kurki-Suonio, R., “Modular modeling of temporal behaviors,” in “Information Modelling and Knowledge Bases III” (eds. S. Ohsuga et al.), IOS Press, 1992, pp. 283–300.Google Scholar
- [K93b]Kurki-Suonio, R., “Hybrid models with fairness and distributed clocks,” In “Hybrid Systems” (eds. R.L. Grossman, A. Nerode, A.P. Ravn, H. Rischel), LNCS 736, Springer-Verlag, 1993, pp. 103–120.Google Scholar
- [S91]Systä, K., “A graphical tool for specification of reactive systems,” Proc. Euromicro’ 91 Workshop on Real-Time Systems, 1991, pp. 12–19.Google Scholar
- [S95]Systä, K., “A specification method for interactive systems.” Tampere University of Technology, Publication 172, 1995.Google Scholar