Energy is considered to be a key catalyst in the generation of wealth and also a significant component in social, industrial, technological, economic, and sustainable development. This makes energy resources and their use extremely significant for every country in the world. In fact, abundant and affordable energy is one of the great boons of modern industrial civilization and the basis of our living standard. It makes people’s lives brighter, safer, more comfortable, and more mobile, depending on their energy demand and consumption. However, in recent years, energy use and associated greenhouse gas emissions and their potential effects on the global climate change have been of worldwide concern.
KeywordsEnergy Efficiency Energy Conservation Heat Pump Energy Management Payback Period
Unit cost, currency/J
Cost, any currency
Coefficient of performance
Harvested energy, J
Saved energy, J
- Clarum 2003. Clarum Homes press release: Clarum unveils California’s first zero energy building community. Palo Alto, April 1. Internet source http://clarum.com/PR.
- Dincer I., Midilli A. 2007. Energy conservation. In: Encyclopedia of Energy Engineering and Technology, Capehart B.L. ed, Chapter 57, CRC Press, New York.Google Scholar
- DOE 2008. Buildings Energy Data Book. Department of Energy. Internet source http://buildingsdatabook.eren.doe.gov (accessed on December 12, 2008).
- Equilibrium Housing Competition 2008. Internet source http://www.cmhc.ca/en/en_001.cfm (accessed on December 12, 2008).
- Go Solar 2008. Go Solar California Web Site. Internet source http://www.gosolarcalifornia.ca.gov (accessed on January 15, 2009).
- Kreith F., Goswami D.Y. 2008. Energy Management and Conservation Handbook. CRC Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Nolden S.D., Morse D., Hebert S. 1998. Energy Conservation for Housing—A Workbook. Contract-DU100C000018374. Abt Associates Inc., Cambridge, MA.Google Scholar
- OECD 1995. Urban Energy Handbook. OECD, Paris.Google Scholar
- RCO 2008. Take back the light. A program of the Recycling Council of Ontario. Internet source http://www.takebackthelight.ca (accessed on December 12, 2008).
- Rosen M.A., Dincer I. 1997. On Exergy and environmental impact. International Journal of Energy Research 21:643–654.Google Scholar
- Skidmore 2008. Skidmore, Owings and Merrill Pearl River Tower. Internet source http://usa.autodesk.com/company/sustainability-center/articles/skidmore-owings-merrill-pearl-river-tower (accessed on December 12, 2008).
- UK Budget 2008. Internet source http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/ (accessed on May 10, 2009).
- UNFCCC 1994. Hungary: Stabilisation of the Greenhouse Gas Emissions. National Communication on the Implementation of Commitments under the UNFCCC. Technical Report.Google Scholar