Energy and Environment Perspectives
The inevitable increase in population and the economic development that must necessarily occur in many countries have serious implications for the environment, because energy generation processes (e.g., generation of electricity, heating, cooling, or motive force for transportation vehicles and other uses) are polluting and harmful to the ecosystem.
KeywordsFossil Fuel Heat Engine Geothermal Energy Geothermal Heat Increase Energy Efficiency
Energy consumption, EJ
Heat rate, W
Mean square error
World primary energy consumption
- Aebischer B., Giovannini B., Pain D. 1989. Scientific and Technical Arguments for the Optimal Use of Energy. IEA, Geneva.Google Scholar
- Blackwell D.B., Steele, J.L., Carter, L.S. 1991. Heat-flow patterns of the North American continent; a discussion of the geothermal map of North America. In: Neotectonics of North America, D.B. Selmons, E.R. Engdahl, M.D., Zoback, and D.B. Blackwell, eds., Vol. 1, 423–436, Geological Society of America, Boulder, CO.Google Scholar
- BP 2008. British Petroleum Statistical Review of World Energy, June. London, UK. Internet source http://www.bp.com/centres/energy/index.asp (accessed on September 15, 2008).
- Brackmann G. 2008. Concentrated solar thermal power now! Internet source http://www.greenpeace.org/raw/content/international/press/reports/Concentrated-Solar-Thermal-Power.pdf (accessed on May 26, 2008).
- Bradley R.A., Watts E.C., Williams E.R. 1991. Limiting Net Greenhouse Gas Emissions in the United States. U.S. Department of Energy, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- EC 2006. World Energy Technology Outlook—2050. WETO-H2. European Commission.Google Scholar
- EIA 2000. Historical Natural Gas Annual 1930 through 2000. Energy Information Administration, Department of Energy, report DOE/EIA-E-0110(00).Google Scholar
- EIA 2008. International energy outlook 2008, Energy Information Administration, Report DOE/EIA-0484, June 2008.Google Scholar
- Goswami D.Y., Kreith F. 2008. Energy Conversion. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, Boca Raton, FL.Google Scholar
- Hart D.R., Rosen M.A. 1995. Environmental and health benefits of utility-based cogeneration in Ontario. Energy and Environment 5:363–368.Google Scholar
- Hollander J.M., Brown D. 1992. Air pollution. In: The Energy-Environment Connection, J.M. Hollander, ed., Island Press, Washington, DC, pp. 15–49.Google Scholar
- Hubbert M.K. 1956. Nuclear Energy and the Fossil Fuels ‘Drilling and Production Practice’. American Petroleum Institute. Internet source http://www.hubbertpeak.com/hubbert/1956/1956.pdf (accessed on September 22, 2008).
- IEA 2006. Medium Term Oil Market Report. International Energy Agency, July.Google Scholar
- IEA 2008. Oil Market Report. International Energy Agency, September.Google Scholar
- NRC 2005. Canadian Natural Gas, Review of 2005 and Outlook to 2020. Natural Resources of Canada, Natural Gas Division, Petroleum Resources Branch, Energy Policy Sector.Google Scholar
- Pincock 2004. Trends in US Domestic Coal Markets. Pincock Perspectives 58.Google Scholar
- Price R., Blaise J.R. 2002. Nuclear fuel resources: enough to last? Nuclear Energy Agency News 2:10–13.Google Scholar
- Rosen M.A. 1994. Assessment of various scenarios for utility-based cogeneration in Ontario, Energy—The International Journal 19:1143–1149.Google Scholar
- Rosen M.A., Dincer I. 1996. Linkages between energy and environment concepts, Proceedings of the TIEES-96 First Trabzon International Energy and Environment Symposium (T. Ayhan, I. Dincer, H. Olgun, S. Dost and B. Cuhadaroglu, eds.), pp. 1051–1057, 29–31 July, Karadeniz Technical University, Trabzon, Turkey.Google Scholar
- Speight J.G. 1996. Environmental Technology Handbook. Taylor & Francis, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Tiwari G.N., Ghosal M.K. 2007. Fundamentals of Renewable Energy Resources. Alpha Science International Ltd., Oxford, UK.Google Scholar
- WEC 2007. Deciding the Future: Energy Policy Scenarios to 2050. World Energy Council.Google Scholar
- Workbook 2005. Statistical Review of World Energy 2005. Internet source http://www.bp.com/statisticalreview (accessed on May 26, 2008).