A Framework for Aerodynamic Shape Optimization
A framework for aerodynamic shape optimization is presented. It uses a shape parameterization method based upon the Chebyshev polynomials, an unstructured finite-volume formulation for the solution of the Euler equations and a discrete adjoint method for the computation of the sensitivity. The framework is demonstrated on 2D and 3D shape optimization problems for which the drag coefficient must be minimized, the lift coefficient must be kept constant and several geometrical constraints must be satisfied.
KeywordsAdjoint Equation Adjoint Method Nose Radius Adjoint Variable Sequential Linear Program
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This research was supported by the Dutch Technology Foundation STW; applied science division of NWO and the technology program of the Dutch Ministry of Economic Affairs.
- 4.M.B. Giles, M.C. Duta, J.-D. Müller, N.A. Pierce, Algorithm Developments for Discrete Adjoint Methods, AIAA Journal, AIAA J. 41 (2003) 198–205.Google Scholar
- 6.O. Amoignon, M. Berggren, Adjoint of a Median-Dual Finite-Volume Scheme: Application to Transonic Aerodynamic Shape Optimization, Tech. Rep. 2006-13, Uppsala University, 2006.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Verhoff, D. Stooksberry, A.B. Cain, An Efficient Approach to Optimal Aerodynamic Design Part 1: Analytic Geometry and Aerodynamic Sensitivities, AIAA Paper No. 93–0099, 1993.Google Scholar
- 8.G. Carpentieri, M.J.L. van Tooren, B. Koren, Aerodynamic Shape Optimization by Means of Sequential Linear Programming Techniques, ECCOMAS CFD, 2006.Google Scholar
- 10.G. Carpentieri, M.J.L. van Tooren, B. Koren, Development of the Discrete Adjoint for a 3D Unstructured Euler Solver, J. Aircraft, To appear.Google Scholar
- 13.T.J. Barth, Aspects of Unstructured Grids and Finite-Volume Solvers for the Euler and Navier-Stokes Equations, Lecture Series 1991–06, Von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, 1991.Google Scholar
- 15.D.J. Mavriplis, On Convergence Acceleration Techniques for Unstructured Meshes, AIAA Paper No. 98–2966, 1998.Google Scholar
- 16.D.J. Mavriplis, Formulation and Multigrid Solution of the Discrete Adjoint for Optimization Problems on Unstructured Meshes, AIAA Paper No. 05–0319, 2005.Google Scholar
- 17.http://tapenade.inria.fr:8080/tapenade/index.jsp Software Tapenade © INRIA 2002, version 2.0
- 18.G.N. Vanderplaats, Numerical Optimization Techniques for Engineering Design, Vanderplaats Research & Development, Inc, 3rd ed., 2001.Google Scholar