Numerical simulation of the dynamics of boats by a variational inequality approach
In this paper we present some recent numerical studies on fluid-structure interaction problems in the presence of free surface flow. We consider the dynamics of a rowing boat, simulated as a rigid body. We focus on an approach based on formulating the floating body problem as an inequality constraint on the water elevation. A splitting procedure is used to develop an efficient numerical scheme where the inequality constraint is imposed only on a wave like equation representing an hydrostatic approximation of the hydrodynamic equations. Numerical tests demostrate the effectiveness of the proposed procedure.
KeywordsWave Pattern Pitching Motion Structure Interaction Problem Hydrostatic Approximation Uzawa Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors wish to thank Filippi Lido s.r.l for the financial and technical support and in particular Ing. Alessandro Placido for having introduced them to the wonderful world of rowing. A thank also to Andrea Paradiso for making available some results from his master theses.
The authors want to remember the late Fausto Saleri, who has largely contributed to the development of some of the ideas here illustrated, before leaving us untimely.
- 1.R. Azcueta. Computation of turbulent free-surface flows around ships and floating bodies. Ship Technol. Res., 49(2):46–69, 2002.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Azcueta. RANSE Simulations for Sailing Yachts Including Dynamic Sinkage & Trim and Unsteady Motions in Waves. In High Performance Yacht Design Conference, pages 13–20, Auckland, 2002.Google Scholar
- 4.U. P. Bulgarelli. The application of numerical methods for the solution of some problems in free-surface hydrodynamics. J. Ship Res., 49(4):288–301, 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.L. Formaggia, E. Miglio, A. Mola, and N. Parolini. Fluid-structure interaction problems in free surface flows: application to boat dynamics. Int. J. Num. Meth. Fluids, 2007. DOI 10.1002/fld.1583 (in press).Google Scholar
- 12.A. Mola, L Formaggia, and E. Miglio. Simulation of the dynamics of an olympic rowing boat. In Proceedings of ECCOMAS CFD 2006,Egmond aan Zee, September 5–8, The Netherlands. TU Delft, 2006. ISBN: 90-9020970-0.Google Scholar
- 15.N. Parolini and A. Quarteroni. Modelling and numerical simulation for yacht design. In Proceedings of the 26th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, Rome, Italy, 17–22 September 2006, 2007. To appear.Google Scholar