Handbook of Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments pp 1201-1227 | Cite as
ALADIN - a Magic Lamp for the Elderly?
Like Aladdin in the medieval oriental folk-tale, the assistive lighting system developed by ALADIN (Ambient Lighting Assistance for an Ageing Population), a research project co-financed by the European Commission, is expected to bring enchantment to people’s lives. But this will not be achieved by magic and genies, but by exploiting our knowledge about the impact of lighting. adaptive lighting can contribute considerably to sound sleep and a regular sleep-wake cycle regulated by people’s ’inner clock’. This tends to deteriorate with ageing, but is essential to preserve and enhance comfort and wellbeing. And this is the main goal of the assistive ALADIN lighting system.
KeywordsRemote Control Simulated Annealing Algorithm Test Person Lighting System Skin Conductance Response
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cook D, Youngblood M, Heierman E, Gopalratnam K, Rao S, Litvin A, Khawaja F (2003) MavHome: An Agent-Based Smart Home. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications, pp 521–524Google Scholar
- De Ruyter B (2003) 365 Days of Ambient Intelligence Research in HomeLabGoogle Scholar
- Friedewald M, Da Costa O (2003) Science and Technology Roadmapping: Ambient Intelligence in Everyday Life (AmI@ Life). Karlsruhe: Fraunhofer-Institut für System-und Innovationsforschung (FhG-ISI)Google Scholar
- Heschong L (2002) Daylighting and human performance. ASHRAE journal 44(6):65–67Google Scholar
- ISTAG (2002) Report of working group 60 of the ist advisory group concerning strategic orientations and priorities for ist in fp6. Tech. rep., BruxellesGoogle Scholar
- Jordan J, Osborne R (2007) Chronic disease self-management education programs: challenges ahead. Medical Journal of Australia 186(2):84Google Scholar
- Kennedy A, Gately C, Rogers A, EPP E (2004) National Evaluation of Expert Patients Programme: Assessing the process of embedding EPP in the NHS: Preliminary survey of PCT pilot sitesGoogle Scholar
- Mayring P (1987) Subjective well-being in the aged. Status of research and theoretical development. Z Gerontol 20(6):367–76Google Scholar
- Mitchell M (1996) An Introduction to Genetic Algorithms. Bradford BooksGoogle Scholar
- Nakashima H (2007) Cyber Assist Project for Ambient Intelligence. Frontiers in Artifical Intelligence and Applications 164:1–20Google Scholar
- Pollack M (2005) Intelligent Technology for an Aging Population. AI Magazine 26(2):9–24Google Scholar
- Schweitzer M, Gilpin L, Frampton S (2004) Healing Spaces: Elements of Environmental Design That Make an Impact on Health. Journal of Alternative & Complementary Medicine 10(Supplement 1):71–83Google Scholar
- Ulrich R (2001) Effects of healthcare environmental design on medical outcomes. Design and Health: Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Health and Design Stockholm, Sweden: Svensk Byggtjanst pp 49–59Google Scholar