22,710 new cases and 11,780 deaths from gastric cancer each year in the US. Highest death rates are reported in Chile, Costa Rica, Japan, China, and the former Soviet Union. Median age of diagnosis is 65. Male:female = 1.5:1. Etiology and possible risk factors: low fruits and vegetables, high salts and nitrates, salted fish, smoked meats, Helicobacter pylori, hypochlorohydria, polyps, genetic alterations (p53 mutation, microsatellite instability, E-cadherin gene), previous radiation, gastrectomy, and pernicious anemia.
KeywordsPernicious Anemia Concurrent Chemoradiation Surgical Clip Linitis Plastica Smoke Meat
We thank Richard M. Krieg, MD, for his valuable advice in the preparation of this chapter.
- Dutch CRITICS: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00407186?term=critics+%26+gastric+cancer&rank=1IdentifierNCT00407186. Assessed on February 19, 2010.
- Gouzi JL, Huguier M, Fagniez PL et al. Total versus subtotal gastrectomy for adenocarcinoma of the gastric antrum. A French prospective controlled study. Ann Surg 1989 Feb;209(2):162-166.Google Scholar
- Macdonald JS, Smalley SR, Benedetti J, et al. Postoperative combined radiation and chemotherapy improves disease-free survival (DFS) and overall survival (OS) in resected adenocarcinoma of the stomach and gastroesophageal junction: Update of the results of Intergroup Study INT-0116 (SWOG 9008). American Society of Clinical Oncology Gastrointestinal Cancers Symposium, Abstract no. 6, 2004.Google Scholar
- Macdonald JS, Benedetti J, Smalley S, et al. Chemoradiation of resected gastric cancer: A 10-year follow-up of the phase III trial INT0116(SWOG 9008). 2009 American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting, Abstract no. 4515, 2009.Google Scholar
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Clinical Practice Guidelines in Oncology: Gastric Cancer. Available at: http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/PDF/gastric.pdf. Accessed on May 29, 2009.
- Wu CW, Hsiung CA, Lo SS, et al. Nodal dissection for patients with gastric cancer: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Oncol 2006 Apr;7(4):309-315.Google Scholar
- National Cancer Institute. Phase III randomized study of adjuvant chemoradiation after resection in patients with gastric or gastroesophageal adenocarcinoma. http://www.nci.nih.gov.
- Soybel D, I, Zinner M, J. Stomach and Duodenum: Operative Procedures. In: Zinner M, J, Schwartz S, I, Ellis H, editors. Maingot’s Abdominal Operations. 10th ed: Stamford: Appleton and Lange; 1997. pp. 1079-1127.Google Scholar
- Willett CG, Gunderson LL. Stomach. In: Halperin EC, Perez CA, Brady LW, et al., editors. Principles and Practice of Radiation Oncology. 5th ed: Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007. pp. 1318-1335.Google Scholar