Salivary Gland Tumors
Salivary gland neoplasms account for ∼3–5% of H&N cancers. Major salivary glands consist of the paired parotid, submandibular, and sublingual glands. Minor salivary glands located throughout oral cavity, pharynx, and paranasal sinuses. Parotid glands located lateral to the mandibular ramus and masseter muscle. Facial nerve divides parotid gland into superficial and deep lobes. Parotid gland drains into oral cavity through Stensen’s duct adjacent to upper second molar. Lymphatic drainage from parotid gland is to intraparotid and periparotid nodes, followed by ipsilateral level I, II, and III nodes.
KeywordsSalivary Gland Parotid Gland Adenoid Cystic Carcinoma Minor Salivary Gland Great Dimension
We thank Allen Chen for his contribution to this chapter in the first edition.
- Armstrong JG, Harrison LB, Spiro RH, et al. Malignant tumors of major salivary gland origin. A matched-pair analysis of the role of combined surgery and postoperative radiotherapy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1990; 116:290-293.Google Scholar
- Chen AM, Garcia J, Lee NY, Bucci MK, Eisele DW. Patters of nodal relapse after surgery and postoperative radiation therapy for carcinomas of the major and minor salivary glands: what is the role of elective neck irradiation? Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2007; 67: 988-994.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Laramore GE, Krall JM, Griffin TW, et al. Neutron versus photon irradiation for unresectable salivary gland tumors: final report of an RTOG-MRC randomized clinical trial. Radiation Therapy Oncology Group. Medical Research Council. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 1993;27:235-240.Google Scholar
- Spiro IJ, Wang CC, Montgomery WW. Carcinoma of the parotid gland. Analysis of treatment results and patterns of failure after combined surgery and radiation therapy. Cancer 1993;71:2699-2705.Google Scholar
- Bragg CM, Conway J, Robinson MH. The role of intensity-modulated radiotherapy in the treatment of parotid tumors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2002;52:729-738.Google Scholar
- Douglas JG, Koh WJ, Austin-Seymour M, et al. Treatment of salivary gland neoplasms with fast neutron radiotherapy. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2003;129:944-948.Google Scholar