Cardiovascular Screening of Athletes: Focused Exam, Electrocardiograms, and Limited Echocardiograms
The incidence of sudden cardiac death (SCD) in athletes is estimated to occur at a frequency of 1/200,000 athletes per year [.1]. It is postulated that intense exercise predisposes the competitive athlete with previously undetected cardiac disease to lethal rhythm disturbances, and that the risk can be diminished if the athlete is withheld from sports participation.
KeywordsSudden Cardiac Death Team Physician Physician Workforce Anomalous Coronary Artery Underlying Heart Disease
- 5.Maron BJ, Thompson PD, Ackerman MJ, et al. Recommendations and considerations related to preparticipation screening for cardiovascular abnormalities in competitive athletes: 2007 update: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism: endorsed by the American College of Cardiology Foundation. Circulation. 2007;115:1643–455.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Corrado D, Pelliccia A, Bjornstad HH, et al. Cardiovascular pre-participation screening of young competitive athletes for prevention of sudden death: proposal for a common European protocol. Consensus Statement of the Study Group of Sport Cardiology of the Working Group of Cardiac Rehabilitation and Exercise Physiology and the Working Group of Myocardial and Pericardial Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J. 2005;26:516–24.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Lawless CE, Winicur ZM, Bellande BJ. Preparedness of US physician workforce to screen competitive athletes for sports participation. American Heart Association, 2009 Annual Meeting: Orlando, Florida, 2009.Google Scholar
- 14.Pelliccia A, Zipes DP, Maron BJ. Bethesda Conference #36 and the European Society of Cardiology Consensus Recommendations revisited a comparison of U.S. and European criteria for eligibility and disqualification of competitive athletes with cardiovascular abnormalities. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2008;52:1990–6.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.A Heart for Sports. 2207; Accessed May 7, 2010. Web Page. Available at: http://www.aheartforsports.org/.