A 22-year-old male college student who has been previously healthy presents with new symptoms of dyspnea. As a child and young adult, he had been told of a physiologic murmur but was never diagnosed with a heart condition.
KeywordsMitral Regurgitation Coronary Flow Reserve Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Myocardial Hypertrophy Left Ventricular Outflow Tract Obstruction
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
- 4.Maron BJ, McKenna WJ, Danielson GK, et al., Task Force on Clinical Expert Consensus Documents, American College of Cardiology, Committee for Practice Guidelines, European Society of Cardiology, American College of Cardiology/European Society of Cardiology clinical expert consensus document on hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation Task Force on Clinical Expert Consensus Documents and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Guidelines. J Am Coll Cardiol 2003;42:1687–1713.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Corrado D, Pelliccia, A, Bjornstad HH, et al. Cardiovascular pre-participation screening of young competitive athletes for prevention of sudden death: proposal for a common European protocol. Consensus Statement of the Study group of Sport Cardiology of the Working Group of Cardiac Rehabilitation and Exercise Physiology and the Working Group of Myocardial and Pericardial Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology. Eur Heart J 2005;26:516–524.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.IOC Medical Commission, International Olympic Committee. Sudden Cardiovascular Death in Sport: Lausanne Recommendations: Preparticipation Cardiovascular Screening. December 10, 2004. Available at http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_886.pdf Accessed January 23, 2008.
- 8.Maron BJ, Thompson PD, Ackerman MJ, et al. Recommendations and considerations related to preparticipation screening for cardiovascular abnormalities in competitive athletes: 2007 update: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association Council on Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Metabolism. Circulation 2007;115:1643–455.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Colucci M. Part I: organization of sport (Italy), §2,IV (Sports Doctors). In: Hendrickx F (ed) International Encyclopaedia of Laws: Sports Law. New York, NY: Aspen Publishers; 2004;29–31.Google Scholar
- 19.Vinereanu D, Florescu N, Sculthorpe N, et al. Differentiation between pathologic and physiologic left ventricular hypertrophy by tissue Doppler assessment of long-axis function in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy or systemic hypertension and in athletes. Am J Cardiol 2001;88:53–58.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2011