The Philippines is an archipelago made up of more than 7,000 islands. The country is divided into three geographical areas: Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao. It has 17 regions, 81 provinces, 118 cities, 1,510 municipalities, and 41,995 barangays (villages). The barangay is the basic unit of the Philippine political system. It consists of fewer than 1,000 inhabitants residing within the territorial limit of a city or municipality and administered by a set of elective officials, headed by a barangay chairman. It is the primary planning and action unit for government programs and projects. It is a forum for the collective opinion of a community. Every barangay is required to have a health center and a school.
KeywordsSchool Health Health Topic Class Demonstration Health Concept High Order Thinking Skill
The Urbani School Health Kit project was supported by AusAID, Department of Health, World Health Organization project to Roll Back Malaria in Mindanao.
- Department of Education, Republic of the Philippines. (2007). Factsheet on basic education statistics. Retrieved August 19, 2008, from http://www.deped.gov.ph/factsandfigures/default.asp
- National Statistics Office. (2008a). 2007 Census of population. Retrieved August 19, 2008, from http://www.census.gov.ph/data/census2007/index.html
- National Statistics Office. (2008b). Quick statistics. Retrieved August 19, 2008, from http://www.census.gov.ph/data/quickstat/index.html
- World Bank. (2006). Country brief. Retrieved March 15, 2008, from http://www.worldbank.org.ph/
- World Health Organization [WHO]. (2007). Countries: Philippines. Retrieved March 15, 2008, from http://www.who.int/countries/phl/en/