Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation for Ethernet Passive Optical Networks
This chapter studies the rich feature set of the IEEE 802.3 family of standards for the control of information transfer and for supporting dynamic bandwidth allocation in Ethernet passive optical networks (EPONs). We will study a medium access control protocol, known as multi-point control protocol (MPCP), which arbitrates access to the upstream channel and supports bandwidth allocation in EPON. The precise format of the MPCP messages as well as their processing will be given. The concept of threshold queue reporting will be presented, which is used by the end-user devices (ONUs) to report detailed information regarding the status of the individual queues to the network. The ranging process and automatic discovery of newly connected or off-line ONU stations will also be given.
KeywordsMedium Access Control Round Trip Time Bandwidth Allocation Passive Optical Network Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.S. Blake, D. Black, M. Carlson, E. Davies, Z. Wang, W. Weiss (1998) An Architecture for Differentiated Services. RFC 2475 The Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) Homepage [Online]. Available: http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2475.txt. Accessed 09 April 2008.
- 8.IEEE P802.3av Task Force Homepage [Online]. Available: http://grouper.ieee.org/ groups/802/3/av/index.html
- 9.IEEE Standard 802.3-2005, Part 3, Section 5, Clause 64, Multipoint MAC Control Specifications [Online]. Available: http://standards.ieee.org/ getieee802/802.3.html. Accessed 06 May 2008.
- 13.M. Ma, Y. Zhu, T. H. Cheng, “A Bandwidth Guaranteed Polling MAC Protocol for Ethernet Passive Optical Networks,” Proceedings IEEE INFOCOM’03, Vol. 1, San Fran-cisco, CA, March–April 2003, pp. 22–31.Google Scholar
- 15.G. Kramer, B. Mukherjee, S. Dixit, Y. Ye, R. Hirth, “On Supporting Differentiated Classes of Service in EPON-Based Access Networks,” Journal of Optical NetWorking, 1(8/9), August 2002, 1–20.Google Scholar
- 16.D. Nikolova, B. Van Houdt, C. Blondia, “Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation Algorithms in EPON: A Simulation Study,” Proceedings of Opticomm’03, Oct 2003, pp. 369–380.Google Scholar