Drivers for Broadband in Europe
In this chapter we present the current status of broadband deployment in Europe and discuss the drivers for further deployment and the expected evolution in terms of the market, the services, the choice of technical solutions, and the main players. The main drivers for broadband are identified and discussed in the context of the European environment. We present an overview of the broadband regulatory framework in Europe as well as expected developments and discuss its impact on the evolution of broadband in this part of the world.
KeywordsBroadband Access Mobile Broadband IPTV Service Cable Operator Incumbent Operator
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Telekom Austria “Only Bad News”. Annual Report 2007.Google Scholar
- 2.OECD, Households with Access to Home Computer (2000–2006). http://www.oecd.org/
- 3.Point Topic, Broadband Money Makers: The Consumer BVAS Market.Google Scholar
- 4.Eurostat. European Information Society Statistics 2008. http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/
- 5.Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD). OECD Broadband Portal 2008. http://www.oecd.org/
- 6.IDATA FTTH European Panorama, Status & Dynamics, FTTH Council Europe Annual Conference, Paris, 28 February 2008.Google Scholar
- 7.European Regulators Group (ERG). ERG Opinion on Regulatory Principles of NGA 2007. www.erg.eu.int/
- 8.Office of Communications (OFCOM). Future Broadband. Policy Approach to Next Generation Access – Consultation 2007. url www.ofcom.org.uk/
- 9.Comision del Mercado de las Telecomunicaciones (Telecommunications Market Commision, CMT). Principles and Main Outlines of the Future Regulation of the Next Generation Access Networks (NGA) 2008. http://www.cmt.es/