Dynamic WSDL for Supporting Autonomic Computing
An autonomic computing system is organized into building blocks that can be composed together to form a self-managing system. Architecturally, this matches service-based computing systems, which are the outcomes of the most recent effort to provide interoperability and usability through the use of services. Autonomic computing is an attractive information technology for managers and clients. Rather than overwhelm administrators and programmers with hundreds or even thousands of machines within a distributed computing system, a cloud, autonomic computing systems manage themselves thus freeing some of the underlying tasks from administrators and programmers. When the new component is added, the system learns of it and makes use of the component by itself. When a component fails, attempts are made to automatically recover the component before human assistance is requested. But to support such complexity, an environment rich in current contextual information is needed. Currently, this information has to be extracted via notifications, which themselves require the discovery of a notification management services. For service-based distributed systems, the knowledge of service state and its attributes is of the most crucial importance for the service provision. We propose the application of the innovative Resources Via Web Instances framework, which allows the state of services to be exposed via their interfaces. The inclusion of state in the interface directly crates an information rich context for autonomic distributed systems without additional complexity of notification mechanics. Furthermore, our innovative framework allows the attributes of a web service to be shown, thus allowing the autonomic system to better cater for the installation and use of new components. With the features of a new component shown as attributes, the autonomic distributed system can take into consideration the nature of the new component.
KeywordsAutonomic System Multiagent System Distribute Computing System Autonomic Computing Common Object Request Broker Architecture
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Amazon. 2007, Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud. http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=201590011.
- 2.Amazon. 2007, Simple Storage Service. http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261.
- 3.Anthill (University of Bologna, Italy), http://www.cs.unibo.it/projects/anthill, (accessed 6 May 2003).
- 4.D. Box, et al. 2004, Web Services Addressing (WS-Addressing). Updated 10 August 2004. Retrieved 12 September 2007, http://www.w3.org/Submission/ws-addressing/.
- 5.J. Barrera, 1993, http://www.barrera.org/selftune/selftune.htm, (accessed 6 May 2003).
- 6.Bio-inspired Approaches to Autonomous Configuration of Distributed Systems (University College London), http://www.btexact.com, (accessed 6 May 2003).
- 7.T. Bray, et al., 2006, Extensible Markup Language (XML) 1.0, 29 September 2006.\\ http://www.w3.org/TR/2006/REC-xml-20060816/.
- 8.M. Brock and A.M. Goscinski, 2007, ‘State Aware WSDL: The Resources Via Web Instances Framework’, Technical Report, C07/10, Deakin University, 23 August 2007. http://www.deakin.edu.au/scitech/sit/dsapp/index.php.
- 9.M. Brock and A. Goscinski. 2008. State Aware WSDL. p. 35-44. Sixth Australasian Symposium on Grid Computing and e-Research (AusGrid 2008). Wollongong, Australia ACM. Research and Practice in Information Technology (CRPIT), vol. 82.Google Scholar
- 10.M. Brock and A. Goscinski, 2007, ‘Adding Support for Dynamic State Changes in State Aware WSDL’, Technical Report, C07/13, Deakin University, 2 October 2007. http://www.deakin.edu.au/scitech/sit/dsapp/index.php.
- 11.M. Brock and A. Goscinski. 2008. Publishing Dynamic State Changes of Resources Through State Aware WSDL. International Conference on Web Services 2008 (ICWS2008). Beijing, September 2008.Google Scholar
- 12.D. Bryan, et al. 2002, Universal Discovery, Description, Integration. Updated 19 July 2002. http://uddi.org/pubs/ProgrammersAPI-V2.04-Published-20020719.htm.
- 13.D. M. Chess, et al. 2004. Unity: experiences with a prototype autonomic computing system. p. 140-147. International Conference on. Autonomic Computing, 2004.Google Scholar
- 14.E. Christensen, et al. 2001, Web Services Description Language (WSDL) Version 1.1. Updated 15 March 2001. http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl.
- 15.K. Czajkowski, et al. 2004, From Open Grid Services Infrastructure to WS-Resource Framework: Refactoring & Evolution. http://www.globus.org/wsrf
- 16.K. Czajkowski, et al., 2004, The WS-Resource Framework, 5 March 2004. http://www.globus.org/wsrf/specs/ws-wsrf.pdf.
- 17.I. Foster. 2005. Globus Toolkit Version 4: Software for Service-Oriented Systems. p. 2-13. FIP International Conference on Network and Parallel Computing. Springer-Verlag LNCS 3779.Google Scholar
- 18.Globus. 2006, Information Services (MDS): Key Concepts. Retrieved 1 October, 2007, http://www.globus.org/toolkit/docs/4.0/info/key-index.html.
- 19.A. Goscinski, 1991, Distributed Operating Systems. The Logical Design, Addison Wesley.Google Scholar
- 20.A. Goscinski, 2000. ‘Towards an Operating System Managing Parallelism of Computing on Clusters of Workstations’, Future Generation Computer Systems, 293-314.Google Scholar
- 21.A. Goscinski, et al. 2002. GENESIS: An Efficient, Transparent and Easy to Use Cluster Operating System. Parallel Computing, Vol. 28 (2002), No. 4, April, 557–606.Google Scholar
- 22.A. Goscinski, M. Hobbs and J. Silcock, 2004. Cluster Operating System Support for Parallel Autonomic Computing, Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Operating Systems, Programming Environments and Management Tools for High-Performance Computing on Clusters (COSET-1), Held in conjunction with 2004 ACM International Conference on Supercomputing (ICS’04), Saint-Malo, France, June 26Google Scholar
- 23.S. Graham, et al., 2006, WS-BaseNotification, OASIS Specification, 1 October 2006. http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsn.
- 24.IBM. 2006, An Archtiectural Blueprint for Autonomic Computing. http://www-306.ibm.com/autonomic/pdfs/ACwpFinal.pdf.
- 25.Immunocomputing (International Solvay Institutes for Physics and Chemistry, Belgium), http://solvayins.ulb.ac.be/fixed/ProjImmune.html, (accessed 6 May 2003)
- 26.P. Horn, 2001, Autonomic computing: IBM’s Perspective on the State of Information Technology, Technical Paper, IBM, October 2001. http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/autonomic/library/ac-summary/ac-manifest.html.
- 27.C. M. MacKenzie, et al. 2006, Reference Model for Service Oriented Architecture 1.0. Retrieved November 2006, http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=soa-rm.
- 28.R. March, 2004, Autonomic Computing. On Demand Series, IBM Press. 013144025X.Google Scholar
- 29.M. Messig and A. Goscinski. 2008. Service Migration in Autonomic Service Oriented Grids. AusGrid 2008. Wollongong, Australia. Proceedings of the 6th Australian Symposium on Grid Computing and e-Research (AusGrid 2008).Google Scholar
- 30.M. Messig and A. Goscinski, 2007, Autonomic system management in mobile grid environments, in Proceedings of the fifth Australasian symposium on ACSW frontiers - Volume 68. Australian Computer Society, Inc.: Ballarat, Australia.Google Scholar
- 31.N. Mitra and Y. Lafon, 2007, SOAP Version 1.2 Primer, 27 April 2007. http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-soap12-part0-20070427/.
- 32.Multiagent Systems (Freiburg University), http://www.iig.uni-freiburg.de/eymann/publications/index.html, (accessed 6 May 2003).
- 33.Neuromation (Edinburgh University), http://www.neuromation.com/, (accessed 6 May 2003).
- 34.Nimrod-G (Monash University), http://www.gridbus.org, (accessed 28 July 2008).
- 35.OASIS. 2006, Web Services Resource 1.2 (WS-Resource). Updated 1 April 2006. Retrieved 12 September 2007, http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsrf.
- 36.OceanStore (Berkeley University of California), http://oceanstore.cs.berkeley.edu, (accessed 28 July 2008)
- 37.Recovery-Oriented Computing (Berkeley/Stanford), http://roc.cs.berkeley.edu, (accessed 28 July 2008).
- 39.B. Sinclair, et al., 2005, Enhancing UDDI for Grid Service Discovery by Using Dynamic Parameters, ICCSA 2005. Springer Berlin: Heidelberg. pp. 49–59. http://www.springerlink.com/content/mqxvph021tcuxv3m.
- 40.R. Sterritt. 2002. Towards autonomic computing: effective event management. p. 40-47. Software Engineering Workshop, 2002. Proceedings. 27th Annual NASA Goddard/IEEE.Google Scholar
- 41.A. S. Tanenbaum and M. v. Steen, 2002, Distributed Systems: Prentice Hall. 0-13-088893-1.Google Scholar
- 42.S. Tuecke, et al., 2003, ‘Open Grid Services Infrastructure (OGSI) Version 1.0’, Draft Recommendation, June 27, 2003.Google Scholar
- 43.W. Vambenepe, et al., 2006, WS-Topics, 1 October 2006. http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=wsn.