Photocatalytic TiO2 Coatings
Titanium dioxide is widely used as pigment for paint. Photo-induced reaction of titanium dioxide has been well known in the paint industry not for its application to self-cleaning, but because it causes decomposition of organic binders, which is problematic. The degradation of paint by photocatalysis of TiO2 is called chalking, and constitutes a serious problem in the development of durable industrial paints. In an effort to avoid chalking, TiO2 coated by an inert coating, such as SiO2 or A1203, has been developed, and low photoactivity TiO2 coated with inert coating is currently utilized as pigment for paint.
KeywordsIntermediate Layer Ceramic Tile Ti02 Surface Inorganic Layer Ti02 Coating
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.I. Sopyan, S. Murusawa, K. Hashimoto, and A. Fujishima, Highly efficient TiO2 photocatalyst: degradation of gaseous aldehyde, Chem.Lett., 723 (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.T. Watanabe, M. Chikuni, A. Kitamura, E. Kojima, K. Hashimoto, A. Fujishima, Photocatalytic process for making surface hydrophilic and composite material having photocatalytically hydrophrophilic surface, PCT Int. Appl, W097/23572Google Scholar
- 4.R. Wang, K. H. Hashimoto, A. Fujishima, M. Chikuni, E. Kojima, A. Kitamura, M. Shimohigoshi, T. Watanabe, Photogeneration of highly amphiphilic TiO2 surfaces, Adv. Mater., 10, 135 (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.A. Fujishima, K. HHashimoto, T. Watanabe, TiO2 Photocatalysis Fundamentals and Applications, BKC Inc (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.A. K. Donald, T. Watanabe, K. Hashimoto, A. Fujishima, Titanium dioxide coatings on window glass-Self Cleaning Glass, an update, Internat. Glass Rev., 2, 34 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.A. Fujishima, D. A. Tryk, T. Watanabe, K. Hashimoto, Self-Cleaning Glass, Int.Glass Review, 2, 114 (1998)Google Scholar
- 9.T. Watanabe, E. Kojima, K. Norimoto, M. Saeki, Fabrication of TiO2 Photocatalytic Tile and its practical Application, Fourth Euro-Ceramics, 11, C Floor and Wall Tiles, C. Palmonari (ed.), Gruppo Editoriale Faenza Editrice S. p A, 175 (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.K. Takami, A. Nakajima, K. Hashimoto, T. Watanabe, Dependence of Structure on the Process Condition of the Self-organized Inorganic/Organic Graded Thin Films Utilizing Polymer Adsorption, Organic-Inorganic Hybrids, June, University of Surrey, Guilford/UK, 12 (2000)Google Scholar