Minimizing a patient’s pain is one of the most important components of skin cancer surgery. When done well, it makes the surgical experience much more pleasant for both the surgeon and the patient. There are several variables that can make local anesthesia more effective, safer, and less painful including types of and additives to anesthetics, patient-specific cautions, injection techniques, and other tips for increasing patient comfort.
KeywordsLocal Anesthetic Nerve Block Automatic External Defibrillator Needle Stick Facial Nerve Block
- 3.Malamed SF. Handbook of Local Anesthesia. 4th ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 1997.Google Scholar
- 4.Jackson D, Chen AH, Bennett CR. Identifying true lidocaine allergy. J Am Dental Assoc. 1994;125:1362–1366.Google Scholar
- 9.Yagiela JA, Neidle EA, Dowd FJ, eds. Pharmacology and Therapeutics for Dentistry. 4th ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 1998.Google Scholar
- 11.Dzubow LM. The interaction between propanolol and epinephrine as observed in patients undergoing Mohs surgery. JAAD. 1986;15:71–75.Google Scholar
- 12.Stewart JH, Chinn SE, Cole GW, et al. Neutralized lidocaine with epinephrine for local anesthesia-II. J Dermatol Surg Oncol. 1990;16:842–845.Google Scholar
- 14.Local anesthetic agents, infiltrative administration. http://www.emedicine.com/proc/topic149178.htm. Accessed January 19, 2009.
- 17.Local anesthesia and regional nerve block anesthesia. http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic824.htm. Accessed January 19, 2009.
- 18.Hruza GJ. Anesthesia.In: Bolognia JL, Jorizzo JL, Rapini RP, eds. Dermatology. 1st ed. St. Louis: Mosby; 2008:2233–2242.Google Scholar
- 22.Digital nerve block. http://www.nda.ox.ac.uk/wfsa/html/u02/u02_007.htm. Accessed January 19, 2009.
- 23.Regional blocks at the wrist. http://www.nda.ox.ac.uk/wfsa/html/u12/u1204_01.htm. Accessed January 19, 2009.