Nursing Perspective on Pain Management
Clinicians who care for patients have an ethical obligation to relieve pain and suffering using a combination of approaches including medical, pharmacological, and psychological. According to the Agency of Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ), the most reliable indicator of the existence and intensity of pain is the patient’s self-report (Potter and Perry 2009).
KeywordsPain Management Acute Pain Pain Assessment Nasal Prong Pain Assessment Tool
- American Society of Peri-Anesthesia Nurses. ASPAN pain and comfort guideline. http://www.aspan.org/Portals/6/docs/ClinicalPractice/Guidelines/ASPAN_ClinicalGuideline_PainComfort.pdf. Accessed 29 Oct 2009.
- American Society of Peri-Anesthesia Nurses. Standards of peri-anesthesia nursing practice. Cherry Hill, NJ: The Society; 2008–2010.Google Scholar
- Barash PG, Cullen BF, Stoelting RK, Cahalan MK, Stock, MC. Clinical anesthesia. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2009.Google Scholar
- Cancer Pain Management in Children. http://www.childcancerpain.org/content.cfm?content=assess08. Accessed 29 Oct 2009.
- Doe JB. Conceptual planning: a guide to a better planet, 3rd ed. Reading, MA: Smith Jones; 1996.Google Scholar
- Donofrio J, Labus D. Fundamentals of Nursing Made Incredibly Easy. 1st ed. PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007.Google Scholar
- Fishman SM, Ballantyne JC, Rathmell JP. Bonica’s management of pain. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2010.Google Scholar
- McCaffery M, Beebe A. Pain management for nursing practice. Baltimore, MD: Mosby Company; 1993.Google Scholar
- Merkel S, et al. The FLACC: a behavioral scale for scoring postoperative pain in young children. Pediatr Nurse. 1997;23(3):293–7.Google Scholar
- Partners Against Pain. http://www.partnersagainstpain.com. Accessed 29 Oct 2009.
- Potter PA, Perry AG. Fundamentals of nursing. 7th ed. Mosby Elsevier; 2009.Google Scholar
- Smeltzer SC, Bare BG, Janice HL, Kerry CH. Brunner and Suddarth’s textbook of medical-surgical nursing. 11th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008.Google Scholar
- Rothrock JC. Alexander’s care of the patient in surgery. 13th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 2007.Google Scholar
- The Cleveland Clinic Website: Pain Management. http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/pain_management/hic_acute_vs_chronic_pain.aspx. Accessed 29 Oct 2009.
- The Joint Commission Website. http://www.jointcommission.org/NR/rdonlyre. Accessed 29 Oct 2010.